1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Fatal Error message: "failed to install product catalogs" - complete system shutdown

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by its_all_bad, Oct 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. its_all_bad

its_all_bad Thread Starter

My computer recently crashed; I didn't pay attention to the first message because, like most people, I'm constantly getting an error message of some type so I didn't pay much attention to this one - until the screen requested the installation CD to be run. When I did that, setup began, running through the initial processes until the "installing windows" segment - when I received the following message:

Fatal Error: An error has been encountered that prevents setup from continuing. Setup failed to install the product catalogs. This is a fatal error. The setup log files should contain more information. Press OK to view the setup log file.

Pressing OK, I read:
    Error: The signature for Windows XP Home Edition upgrade is invalid. The error code is fffffdda. The system cannot find message text for message number 0xfffffdda in the message file for syssetup.dll.

Fatal Error: Setup failed to install the product catalogs. This is a fatal error. The setup log files should contain more information.

Error: (same as above)
    Fatal Error: (same as above)

Fatal Error: One of the components that Windows needs to continue setup could not be installed. The operation was cancelled by the user.
    Fatal Error: (same as immediately above)

The error and fatal error messages then return to the initial two messages listed above - repeated several times.

Pressing OK restarts the system and the process happens all over again. I do have a valid copy of WinNT which was preinstalled on my computer, so I'm not sure why the first message is saying it's invalid.

I'm currently on my old PC, but I can switch back as needed. Any information/guidance/advice is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

(is it as bad as i think it is????)

2. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

3. its_all_bad

after I received your reply, I tried again (shift-F10 from the WinNT setup screen, and following those directions on that website) - I restarted, but then realized that I hadn't hit the key to reboot from the CD on the black screen. Once I did that, I made it to a blue screen that seems to have reinstalled whatever it was that I needed. The computer now seems to be back on track. I switched over to give an update, but so far, so good. Thanks so much. I'll post once more when everything is completely finished.

happy happy joy joy (so far)

4. telecom69

Waiting with my fingers crossed :D

5. its_all_bad

I'm up and running from the NT computer! Thank you, telecom69! Now I can go to bed...

thanks again.

eta: I don't know how to mark this one as "solved!" but it is :) good night!

6. telecom69

Glad its working (y) sleep well :)

PS It wasnt as bad as you thought it was after all :D

7. zmaster

zmaster

you can mark a thread as solved by going to Thread tools found just above your first post

8. telecom69

I thought that too but when I went into it there was no facility for doing that ....there are just 3 options ie

1 Show printable version
    2 Email this page
    3 Unsubscribe from this thread

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/280883

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice