1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Fatal Error Shutdown Media Player

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by hales1966, Feb 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hales1966

hales1966 Thread Starter

computer shut down when video or music is used in windows media player. reboots and displays message 'Fatal Error Occurred' I am not very computer litterate and do not know what to do. Said something about a dump so went to microsoft site to download a 'fix it' but didn't work. I am pretty sure that xp installed on my computer is pirate . I cannot upate anything from Microsoft. is there a way i can get around this??

2. elmurado

elmurado

Ouch...pirate copy and patches...ms are deliberately being tight with patches and hotfixes for unlicensed copies. Not sure about that unless you can copy the downloaded files from someone elses machine and trnsfer them. I do that with our server all the time.
    Does it give a message telling where the fatal error(exception?) occurred?
    MP is real shite sometimes and has afew security holes too.

3. hales1966

hales1966 Thread Starter

ok Tell u wot happens.

While the movie is playing, no warning just shutsdowna and reboots. Then a box comes up saying 'The system has recovered from a serious error. Says to click to view error message

Says: Error Signature
    BC Code : BCP1 : 0000000F BCP2 : 00000002 BCP3 : 00000000 BCP4 : 804F01E8 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 0_0 Product : 256_1

Then there is another bit

Error Report content

C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\\mini02604-04.dmp C:\DOCUME 1\HAYLEY 1\LOCALS 1\TEMP \WER. tmp.dir00\sysdata.xml

I have no idea wot this means. Perhaps is mite help with the problem. Thanks

4. elmurado

elmurado

5. elmurado

elmurado

Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing WMP?
    Is it winxp you're using and also what are the memory specs and video card on your machine?
    If you go to start>programs>accessories>system tools>systme info and that will give you all that kind of info.
    Under components look up display and it will show you what the graphics card is.
    Post back some more info.

6. hales1966

hales1966 Thread Starter

Hi thank you for trying to help. Unfortunately i cannot find any of the info that u have requested. Went to start>programs> etc and no graphics card to be seen in components.

I could not even uninstall wmp9 as it does not exist in add or remove programs????

I have found a site http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/15697/

and seems these people all have the same problem. May be this will help. I understand that you probably cannot help me as I do not know alot about computers. So thanks for trying anyway

7. elmurado

elmurado

It's not in add remove programs? weird.
    In add remove programs if you hit the button on the left hand sie that says Add/Remove Windows Components. Wait
    Then scroll down to where it says Windows Media Player and hit next.
    To reinstall it do the same again.

8. PC_Wiz

PC_Wiz

Have you tested in safe mode to see if it still crashes?
    I would run spyware/adware removal.
    Virus scan online.
    Update audio and video drivers and DirectX.

You can uninstall windows media player by following these steps:

First, make a copy of sysoc.inf (found on the hard disk at \winnt\inf\sysoc.inf)
    before proceeding so that you can restore the initial configuration if necessary.
    Give the copy a different name, such as sysoc2.inf.

Open the Sysoc.inf file. Each line of text in the file represents a component that
    can be displayed in the Add/Remove Windows Components dialog.

Delete the word HIDE for any component that you want to see in the dialog (do not
    erase the commas).

Save the Sysoc.inf file, then close it, and reboot your computer.

The Add/Remove Windows Components dialog will now display the WMP9.

9. hales1966

hales1966 Thread Starter

Hey Thanks

I dowloaded a huge virus yesterday. couldn't even log on properly kept crashing after about 15 seconds. After typing very fast and working out how to get into safe mode finally worked it out. I then did a spyware remove and adaware removal. Hey presto. All problems solved.
    Thanks heaps

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/206881

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice