1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

FATAL ERROR with Netscape ver. 4.72!

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by The DOS Machine, Dec 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. The DOS Machine

The DOS Machine Thread Starter

I have a problem with Netscape ver. 4.72.

For nearly a year, I have been using Netscape 4.72 with WebWasher 3.0 successfully. Recently, however, WebWasher has gotten more and more unstable. It was freezing a lot whenever I download something while browsing in a window(or loading data into more than one window at a time) using my DSL. The last time I used this setup before today, I was downloading a large file and accidently closed all Netscape windows(shut the program down). This ended the download. When I loaded Netscape through WebWasher to start the download again, it gave an "invalid page fault" as soon as I typed in a URL.

Today, I tried to use the internet again using this setup, but it gave an "invalid page fault" error as soon as I typed in a URL! This was after several boot-ups(turn the computer off at night). Netscape must have a real problem connecting to WebWasher(as a proxy). I tried to use the browser with a "direct connection to the internet", but it just sat there like I had no internet connection while IE worked just fine.

I tried uninstalling WebWasher and installing Webwasher 3.2BETA to try to fix the problem, but it accomplished nothing.

So, unless you guys can help me fix my Netscape, I will have to download a new browser to replace it(since I don't have the Netscape installer program). THANKS! [​IMG]

-DOSMAN [​IMG]

2. Brooks

Brooks Guest

Try moving your pref.js and liprefs.js to a different folder then starting up Netscape. You will have to reset up your email settings and your home page and such.

I usually just cut them and then paste them into the archive folder under my profile folder.

3. The DOS Machine

Well, I removed those files and Netscape started like new, but I still could not connect to the internet through "Direct Connection...". Also, it gave the same "invalid page fault" when I tried to use it with WebWasher. Perhaps it is a problem with its registry entries.

If I were to uninstall Netscape, would I loose all of my plug-ins? Would I be able to install Netscape again using those plug-ins? Would anything else be different?

Do you know if it is possible to download Netscape ver. 4.72 off of the internet? Do you know where? I believe it was installed by my computer's manufacturer.

Thanks!

-DOSMAN [​IMG]

4. Brooks

Brooks Guest

5. The DOS Machine

Not only did I install Netscape 4.72 over the existing installation(which did not work), but I also did a full uninstallation of Netscape and deleted all of the remaining folders(including my user profile) except the plug-ins folder. I then installed Netscape again. Once again it would just sit there like I had no internet connection using the default "Direct connection...". The same "invalid page fault" also popped up when I started the program with Webwasher. It must be a registry entry that is not directly related to Netscape or WebWasher, but one which netscape must use to connect to my DSL or DUN. I would like to restore my registry to the way it was several months ago, but that would have horrible consequences for all the other programs that have been installed since then.

Right now I am using Opera ver. 6.0. The only non-Netscape browser(other than IE) that Webwasher will work with(or at least, automatically configure[I don't know which]). Opera seems to act too much like IE for my tastes. There are minor font and operational problems that exist. Any website with banners that are (supposed to be) removed by WebWasher take some 20 seconds to load. It is much slower on these pages than Netscape was.

If anyone has any advice for speeding up Opera with WebWasher, changing fonts and link color/responses to look more like Netscape, and a way to remove the banner window(other than registering); I would be grateful!!! It seems like I will be using Opera from now on.

Thank You! [​IMG]

-DOSMAN [​IMG]

6. Brooks

Brooks Guest

The only thing I can think of with Opera is to change how it is identifying itself. Try changing the preferences (you can hit f12) and changing the way it identifies itself. As far as the way ti looks, try playing with the preferences. Alt+p is the fast way into them.

You also state that you are trying to use it with direct connection. Try manually entering in the proxy info into netscape. 127.0.0.1 port 8080 for http.

You might also want to try Netscape 4.79 http://home.netscape.com/download/1126101/10000-en-win32-4.79-complete-128_qual.html

This time you might want to kill the whole folder tree for netscape, even your plug-ins. The crash might have damaged a plugin.

7. The DOS Machine

THANK YOU Very Much Brooks!!! [​IMG]

Actually, I have not even tried to fix my Netscape since your last post, but I have gotten used to the way Opera works and have decided to use it. I have found that it is as fast if not faster than my Netscape used to be. Only on a couple of websites does it take roughly 18 seconds to load the page. All of my previous problems with this browser are really minor, and I have customized the font that Opera uses to look really cool! :)

Perhaps sometime I will work on fixing my Netscape again, but it is no longer essential. I just hope the same fate won't befall my new Opera!

So thanks again! [​IMG]

-DOSMAN [​IMG]

8. Brooks

Brooks Guest

You are welcome.

I have found that Opera is pretty stable and you don't have to worry about registry errors as much with it since it uses .ini files forjust about everything other than registering itself as the default browser and opener for various types of files.

9. hewee

hewee

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61471

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice