Fatal Error

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

QBA

I'm Running a Pentium 4 with XP Pro, my computer cant find two Western Digital Hard Drives, one a 250 GB (WD2500JB) and the other a 80 GB I use both as back up and most of the time I have I them unpluged from the IDE port, the 250 GB is like a year old and the 80 is like 6 month old.

I have try it making it my primary slave, secondary slave, secondary master and always the same result, every time I turn on my pc I heard the hard drive making a clicking sound and then a message on a black screen saying something like "Primary Slave has a Fatal Error" and the only choice it give me is to restart my system.

I have important data on both hard drive and I wish I could save it, any idea if there is a way to fix these hard drive and what the clicking noise is all about? It sound like is trying to read the drive or something.

I was thinking as a ultimate option to buy another 250 GB and a 80 GB open both of them and changing the disk from the bad hard drive to the new one to see if I could read my data, just in case that the problem is not with the physical disc that store the data inside the hard drive.

Thanks

Alex

so do either of these drives have an OS on it / them ?
im a bit confused about this .. you have them for backing up only and you have another drive with the OS on it and then u use these to back up important data ?
and as for the clicking sound . i wouldnt try using that hadr drive since you may damage it even more if you persist on trying to access it .
clicking SOUNDS VERY bad ...

QBA

thanks timothye,

Neither of those hard drive have OS on it, I have a 60 GB only for OS, another 250 GB and a 120 GB that I use for my data, so these two I only use them to back stuff up and then I turn off the machine and unistall them again

why do you uninstall them ?
connect 1 of them and make sure the pin is placed to slave .. then fire up the PC .. right click my computer and select manage make sure its online then it should be visible in my computer .. as for the noise ..ouch i dont know it sounds like the HD has failed ..

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online