1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

fatal errors

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by patsym, Nov 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. patsym

patsym Thread Starter

hi help needed ,my 6 weeks old acer aspire laptop, win7 - 64bit, has started showing the message "fatal error no language file was found".
    i cannot get into I/E8 in either normal mode or safe mode. safe mode is good in all other aspects, normal mode is hopeless.
    the message appears in the middle of the page at the same time desktop opens, any help would be welcome, pastm

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Have you done anything to the machine lately like cleaned the registry or deleted any files? Have you changed any regional or language settings?

3. patsym

patsym Thread Starter

hi thanks for your reply, i run a registry cleaner nearly every day and have done for years and yes i have deleted some files but i could not remember what they were, thanks for your time, PM

4. Blacqwolf

Blacqwolf

Well, as far as resolving the problem...

Could you try booting Windows into Safe Mode with networking and downloading and installing a language pack that way?

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Registry cleaners can do no possible good and always do damage. It would be a good idea to stop playing Russian Roulette with a cleaner and leave the registry to self-maintain. Since they do absolutely nothing except delete everything they don't understand, it is pointless to take the risk. Any problems that appear may well be caused by them. Much new hardware will not install, and your machine will be slowed as Windows and programs search in vain, 1000's of times every minute, for missing registry entries.

6. patsym

patsym Thread Starter

hi thanks for the reply, i need advise as to how to instal a language pack, i cannot open I/E 8 in either mode, if i could open I/E, i have very good instructions as to how to fix it, if you care to reply can you offer an opinion as to whether using the factory re-instal disc will fix it, i do not care much about losing any files etc they are all in another laptopn anyway ,thanks

7. patsym

patsym Thread Starter

that is "advice " not advise

8. Blacqwolf

Blacqwolf

See if you can download a language pack from the MS website. Then, put it on an external device (like a CD or flash drive) and install it. I haven't really installed any language packs myself (on Windows 7, at least), so I'm not too sure how it would roll out for you.

If you have a Windows repair disc, or a Windows installation disk, you can also try booting one up and having it repair your computer. If your system doesn't have an optical drive, you can try a USB disc drive, or use another computer which has a DVD drive, and move it to a USB flash drive or other device using WinToFlash

Note: instead of making a post to correct an issue, you can just hit the "Edit" button on your post.

9. patsym

patsym Thread Starter

hi thanks again, i am now quite happy to use the factory restore disk, provided this will fix the problem ,as it restores it to the day it left the factory i assume it would, i just need a little assurance.
    the loss of the data in it is not a big concern ,i have only had it for 6 weeks so it is not actually overloaded and i have everything in either the other laptop or the desktop, if you would take the time to advise please if it would solve the problem, regards pm

10. Blacqwolf

Blacqwolf

There is no loss of data if you do it from the recovery disk that can be created from Windows Backup and Restore. It just checks for corrupt OS files and restores them. You can also use the Windows Install disk and click "Repair my computer" at the welcome screen and it will restore critical OS files that are missing or corrupt, as well as fix many common problems without actually having to wipe any data.

I haven't tried the recovery disk provided by Backup and Restore, but I'd imagine the OS disk provides more utilities and OS files that you can restore from, because it is what contains the entire OS, and the recovery disk created from Backup and Restore contains only 600 or so MB work of files.

You can use another computer running Windows 7 to create one of these recovery disks from Backup and Restore, or, if you have a spare Windows 7 install CD, you can boot that up and try clicking "Repair my computer" at the welcome screen. Doing this, there is no loss of data.

Also, if you wish, you can just do a complete reinstall. This can be done using a recovery partition (which comes with most modern computers running Windows 7) or using recovery disks that came with the computer. This is the recommended method. You can also recover using an untouched Windows 7 disk, but then you will have to go through Windows activation and reinstall all your drivers.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027640

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice