1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Fatal Exception 06 at startup

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by rwrussell, Dec 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rwrussell

rwrussell Thread Starter

I'm running Win98se on my Fujitsu laptop. Everytime it starts up I get the following error message: FATAL EXCEPTION 06 at C149:0000D876... If I hit <CR> the machine will finish booting up, but it tends to run alittle squirrelly. Per some instructions on the MS web page I checked that there were no virus software commands in my autoexec.bat file. Any suggestions. Thank you!

2. columbo

columbo

Hi,

When during the boot-up does this error occur? Have you recently added or removed any devices or programs from the system?
    Try going in through safe-mode. Does the error still occur? If not, then once you're in, go to Start, Run, then type in msconfig. What programs do you have running at startup?
    Try choosing "selective startup", and check-off autoexec.bat and config.sys. Then restart. Is the error gone? If not, then try going back in through safe-mode, and this time, only take the checkmark off of system.ini or win.ini. Does it work now?

You might also want to try restoring the registry, if you haven't already done so. This might work, depending on how long ago you began receiving these errors. Boot to an ms-dos prompt, and type in:

scanreg /restore

Good Luck

:)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!