1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Fatal Exception 06 has occurred at 0000:0000001B in W98

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by JamieM908, Oct 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JamieM908

JamieM908 Thread Starter

I have a Dell desktop with Windows 98. Not sure how, but the operating system will not load now. When I turn it on, I get the Windows98 screen, but then a blue screen appears saying Fatal Exception 06 has occurred at 0000:0000001B in W98, Press Any Key to Continue. When I do that, I get a screen with my background, but no icons and no task bar. Then I CTL-ALT-DEL, and there are no tasks shown, and if I try to shut down, I get the W98 is shutting down screen, which just hangs there forever. Eventually I have to pull the plug.

I have a Startup Disk, and when I start the machine with that, I get to the A: prompt, but am not sure what to do then. Also, I still have all the CD's that came with the PC (I think), and one that says "Microsoft Windows 98 for PCs without Windows".

Help!!!!

2. brianF

brianF

3. JamieM908

JamieM908 Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply. I am trying to follow the suggestion in the article, but for some reason my DOS "edit" command does not work!! I.e., I get to a c: prompt, and type edit autoexec.bat, and it says edit is not a recognized command or something like that. However, I remembered the type command, and tried that, and it works, and shows me the contents of the autoexec.bat, including a line saying

@c:\progra~1\norton~1\na0dx.exe /startup

which I was going to try and remark out.

Why wouldn't edit work?

4. JamieM908

JamieM908 Thread Starter

Well, figured out how to get edit to work. Had to type in c:>path c:\windows\command, and then it worked, and I was able to edit the autoexec.bat file, and type "rem" in front of the norton command.

Unfortunately, it did not solve my problem. Any other suggestions?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172959

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice