1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

fatal exception in vxd afvxd(01)

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by indigowindow, Dec 5, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. indigowindow

indigowindow Thread Starter

i'm on the internet, pages starting to load slow....
    exception in OE 0028:C1B3D774 in VXD AFVXD(01)+00000DA4 called from 0028:C1C45E34 in VXD PPPMAC(04)+00007B14......then a few minutes later: fatal exception in OE 0028:C1B3E007 in VXD AFVXD(01)...."press any key to continue or ctrl-alt-del....then i close the internet connection:
    EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault in
    module KERNEL32.DLL at 0167:bff7b9a6.
    Registers:
    EAX=00000000 CS=0167 EIP=bff7b9a6 EFLGS=00000246
    EBX=8334a3d4 SS=016f ESP=005fe094 EBP=8334a3c0
    ECX=c1b32380 DS=016f ESI=8334a3d4 FS=18bf
    EDX=00430000 ES=016f EDI=0000019c GS=2f5e
    Bytes at CS:EIP:
    ff 76 04 e8 13 89 ff ff 5e c2 04 00 56 8b 74 24
    Stack dump:
    00465324 7f88de25 8334a3d4 00000000 005fe0e8 005fe0e0 bff748b4 00000000 7032b759 00465324 005fe0d8 005fe0e8 00000000 0043750c 005fe424 005ffe50

please don't post links to reference pages as i have a big list of these already. just if you happen to already know what these errors refer to let me know. thanx in advance.

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

That's one I get every once in a blue moon so to speak. They are related to "protocols" (ppp means point to point protocol) and the interface between the modem and DUN/tcp stuff (best I can manage by way of understanding).

If it's any help, I was getting them about once a month up until about 3 months ago when I decided just to restore the afvxd file using the System File Checker. Don't know if it's a fix, or just a coincidence since they didn't happen all that often. But I was also getting afvxd errors when disconnecting -- that was happening every few days for awhile. Haven't had one of those since either.

3. Trish-AA

Trish-AA

AFVXD.vxd is a Windows Winsock component that is used by DUN. My suggestion is to go to the Microsoft site and get the latest updates for Winsock and Dialup Networking. While you're there also check that you have the latest version of Internet Explorer and update if necessary. This should clear up any conflicts or bad files.

4. indigowindow

rog - next time this happens i can try that, replacing the afvxd with system file checker. i'll wait and see how soon it happens again.

trish - i want to stay with IE 5.01. but how would i find updates for winsock and dun? it's not something that shows up at the windows update site? how would i know if i'm getting the latest version? my current winsock.dll is 4.10.1998 - running windows 98se.

5. indigowindow

i found the dun 1.4se update and installed it.
    :p

6. indigowindow

another afvxd bsod......extracted afvxd.vxd from sfc. :rolleyes: also pages are loading slow again. i'm still wondering about the IE kernel32 page fault.

7. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

That's an Explorer (Windows explorer) error. And the address is close to a recurring adress error I get. Over the past few months on and off, errors are at 0167: etc. I cured the problem months ago. But it has started up again. I will have a lot of IE windows open and when I try to open something In windows explorer, do a find or open a text File in My documents, I can get one of these. It has started up again tonight. Last night I upgraded MSN Messenger and it has been notohing but a pain on the Internet. I have had multiple crashes. Have you recently upgraded any of your Internet Programs?

Sometimes it is a Password. I know you file share. I would be willing to bet you might have some spyware aboard. Try running Adaware and see what it says. Do you keep a fault log?

It looks like it from your post. If you don't TWEAKUI will set one up and you can get a good look at the pattern. Click the Paranoia Tab and at the bottom of that page, check the box to set up a faultlog.txt file.

Also, a virus scan. When you get these errors, what else is running in the background?

In MSconfig, what is in the startup tab?

8. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Also, Pages do load slowly sometimes. If it's a Winsock problem. maybe a total DUN uninstall and reinstall.

However, IE has been known to need repairing. When it gets slow, try the repair tool first and see if that speeds it up. I find it helps.
    A link. I now you don't want them. But this is the directions to uninstall DUN completely and then reinstall. Resolving possible problems. How do you connect to the Internet? Any special settings you need to connect? Write them down if you decide to remove DUN. You'll have to redo them.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q298576

In the part where several Reg keys are mentioned, it says to delete the winsock keys contained there. If some have no Winsock in the left pane, move on. Do not delete anything. They may not all contain a Winsock Subkey.

9. indigowindow

mosaic -
    you're making me answer a lot of questions :p i don't really keep a fault log. i write them down and post them most of the time, but i don't really save them. i'm virus free and spyware free as far as i can tell from Trend Housecall and AdAware. the only password on my system is to dial out on the isp. no file sharing, unless you mean Morpheus and WinMx. but those passwords aren't on my system. the microsoft link seems to be for cable. :confused: startup: system resource meter, rampage (doesn't interfere so much as DISPLAY ram), FM viewer, zone alarm, sys tray, scanreg, script sentry, and the 2 LoadPowerprof's. :rolleyes: besides the dun 1.4 se tonight, i haven't upgraded anything major. zone alarm and adaware i try to keep up to date. did an IE repair fairly recently and a reinstall of windows 98SE last summer - another attempt to defeat those blue screens of death. :p

my internet connection goes thru WebWasher. sometimes i'll inject an anonymous proxy server in there. also running are idcide, and when i get annoyed i'll trigger the popup killer.

10. Trish-AA

Trish-AA

Sorry... didn't run away! Got a lot of serious stuff going on here at the home front.

winsock.dll 4.10.1998 should be good.

my internet connection goes thru WebWasher. sometimes i'll inject an anonymous proxy server in there. also running are idcide, and when i get annoyed i'll trigger the popup killer.

I tried WebWasher for a time and had a lot of problems with it and in the end had to be rid of it. If it were me I'd try turning off everything in the above quote and see what happens.

Also I currently use Popup Stopper. I had another one ( can't remember the name) that caused me all kinds of grief.

You just may have some software that's conflicting with something else.

11. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

indigowindow,
    The link is for cable modem users. However, the method to remove and reinstall DUN is the same.

Keep the Faultlog to see a pattern if any exists. It won't record BSOD's only IVP's

THe other day you posted a repeat of an earlier set of Faults etc. If these are regular, it's time to get analytical.

What's running in the background, what you were doing at the time (closing or opening something etc) and what happens if you don't run certain programs.

If you had a lot of BSOD's before a format and reinstall, and still have, either you have a Hardware Problem, or
    You loaded the same software and it's causing a conflict somewhere.

12. indigowindow

another bsod with the afvxd(01). tried the dun uninstall plan but that didn't work. i got a bsod so i had to do a scanreg /restore.

invalid VXD dynamic link from VSDATA95(01)+00014EE8 to device 0028 service 800A that's a new one. i had no other option except command prompt since i wouldn't know what to do with the other options. :confused:

13. Trish-AA

Trish-AA

I'm thinking VSDATA95 has something to do with ZoneAlarm. Did you try to uninstall it???

If so CHECK THIS OUT

ZoneAlarm is a wonderful program, but when something with it goes wrong it can cause all sorts of problems. Caused me a complete reformat once. I switched to Tiny after that.

14. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Trish,
    You have great instincts. I found this at the KB
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q297725

It may not be the exact error, and you were performing the same. But it's close.

15. indigowindow

i moved it to the D drive with the Coa2 change of address utility. maybe i'll uninstall it and reinstall it again after reading over your link.
    :p

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!