1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

fatal exception OE at 0187:BFF8AB97

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by JustMe2, Jan 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JustMe2

JustMe2 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Crystal
    I have received the error of fatal exception OE at 0187:BFF8AB97, twice now on boot. I have searched at google. The only thing that it came up with was in German. Translated at worldlingo.com, and the only thing that it said was it could be ram related. I've checked the ram with Norton and it passed. Should I also run the other one on boot to check it also? I believe it is called something like memdoc. I downloaded it almost a month ago, before I had to re-format, but now I'm not finding it on my backups I made.
    The only new thing that I have loaded is Spybot 3 days ago. it was the next day the I received the 1'st fatal exception. The 2'nd time was this evening when I re-booted my machine, due to the multimedia keyboard not working correctly. By chance could the 2 be related?
    Thanks...again.
    JustMe2

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

It would usually be caused by a timing conflict between startups. Has anything new been added to them? Is Spybot running at startup?

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
  4. JustMe2

JustMe2 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Crystal
    Rog!
    After quite some time reading here at the boards (once again), I had wondered if it could possibly be some sort of timing conflict. Checked my msconfig. Nothing new is running.?? Also ctrl-alt-del shows nothing out of the ordinary. All that shows there is the following...
    1. Explorer
    2. ZAPro
    3. Sysdoc32-which is loaded from the startup items menu
    4. PoProxy
    5. Navapw32
    6. Systray
    7. NProtect
    Spybot does not run at startup. I think that my msconfig has more unchecked things that checked ones! I only let load the things that I really need, unless there's something there that I've missed.
    flavallee,
    Thanks for the link. I'm going there to do some more reading. Geez, I can hardly wait to get rid of this dial-up connection! Microsoft takes forever to load!
    JustMe2

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Hmmm, do you really need Norton System Doctor loading at startup?

Between that, NAV and ZAPro, there must be some pretty intensive competition for resources at startup. Win 9x doesn't do a good job of controlling this -- basically they just race to see who gets there first. That is why you often see the order of icons change in the System Tray with each boot up.

6. JustMe2

JustMe2 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Crystal
    Rog,
    I've removed System Doctor from startup. I'll just wait around and see if it still happens again. I can honestly say that the only thing that I used it for was quick access to the different components in Norton.
    Thank you once again.
    Strangely enough, my tray icons were always in the same order. Kind of weird for Win98.
    JustMe2

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I used to get similar errors about once every two or 3 months on my Win98 system. When they are really infrequent, there is just no way to troubleshoot them effectively and you just have to go with whatever startups seem the most practical for you.

Yeah, actually it is. I've seen some posters get absolutely spooked over it, thinking there was something wrong. But they were so random on my machine you could play games with it.

Anyway, we'll wait and see if it was just one of Windows glitches, or the start of a pesky problem :)

8. JustMe2

JustMe2 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Crystal
    Thanks, Rog.
    Believe me...after what I went through last month with this computer, none of this is going to spook me! I was just curious about the OE error, simply because it happened so suddenly.
    Less than a month ago, I had to re-format the hd...I guess that you could say that scandisk 'ate' my computer! http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?threadid=107731

After seeing all of the mess from that, I don't believe that I'll ever let a computer probelm really get to me again!
    But, like you said...I'm just going to sit on this one and ssee if it decides to happen more aften!
    Thanks so much.
    JustMe2

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You're certainly welcome. I'll just add that the only time I have ever run a full scandisk was just a week after I got my first system and a phone tech advised me to do it who basically knew nothing. I only suggest it when there are problems I know it can fix or when the system is already so buggered that they can't be any worse off if it screws up. :)

10. JustMe2

JustMe2 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Crystal
    Rog,
    I've now completely disabled scandisk. I'm not going through that again! :)
    JustMe2

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!