1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

fatal exception/ scandisk & defrag.

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Art_B_50, Dec 4, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Art_B_50

Art_B_50 Thread Starter

Recently while trying to run my maintenance programs I started to get fatal exception errors during scandisk and defrag. The error code for the scandisk error is: 0028:05630016 ( most common) and the code for the defrag. is : 0028:C8000000 , also 0028:00000017 in VxD--- called from 0028:C007EB60 8n VxD or VKD (01) +000001D0called from 0028:C0058C25in V+D SHELL (01)+00000549
    I upgraded to Win 98 SE about six months ago but these errors just started a few weeks ago. When I upgraded I did an f-disk reformat.
    Other codes are : on OE at 0028:C1561FA9, OER at 0028:C8000000, 0028:C15638B0, and 0028:C1561A30
    Thanks in advance for your help:confused:

2. Dan O

Dan O

Try running them in Safe Mode as something may be conflicting with them and let us know how you made out. We will then try to work with you from there.

3. Art_B_50

Art_B_50 Thread Starter

I tried running them in safe mode and they worked. I also tried to run scandisk in dos with the command scandisk/ autofix/ surface and all that would happen is it would say ambiguious switch or the curser would just sit there and blink. I would then have to shut the computer off to get back to windows since it would not take any commands.

4. Dan O

Dan O

The command syntax:

SCANDISK [d: [d: . . .]|/all][/checkonly|/autofix[/nosave]|/custom][/surface]

Try:
    SCANDISK /all /autofix

If that does not fix the problem run MSCONFIG, select the Startup tab and uncheck almost everything, and reboot. Then try ScanDisk.

5. Art_B_50

Art_B_50 Thread Starter

It still didn't work in dos so I went to msconfig and unchecked everything except msconfig and registryscan and it ran in windows and so did the defrag after the second try. After this I started to recheck some of the items to try it again, but remembered something that I had read in troubleshooting about my problem with shutting down windows. It said to shut off the sound schemes, so I went back and rechecked everything in msconfig and went to sounds and shut off all the sound schemes and tried it again. This time it ran all the way through and so did defrag, but it still won't run in dos with the command that I was using or the command that you gave me. I'm still getting the blue screen when I bootup though. To get rid of this one all that I have to do is hit any key and it will continue. The error code 0028:~ seems to be common with all the error messages. What does refure to?
    Thanks again Art:)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!