1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

fatal exception

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by lhowell, Dec 31, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lhowell

lhowell Thread Starter

have a fatal exception at 0028:C004F320 in VXD VCACHE(01) +00000B20
    Usually happens when opening pictures in outlook express and sometimes using explorer. The computer totally freezes and we have to shut the power off manually to reboot.
    Any suggestions.

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Have you cleaned up the cache... & how much RAM do you have ?

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I think they are on the right track here, most of the vcache errors that I've seen resolved have had to do with ram faults...

http://www.techadvice.com/w98/errors/2/er_00196.htm

The best test is to swap out sticks if you have more than one. You can try a software tester such as Docmemory, but I wouldn't consider the case closed if your ram passes. However if it fails, it's a pretty good bet you've got a bad stick.

http://www.simmtester.com/PAGE/products/doc/docinfo.asp

Install it to a clean floppy, boot it like a startup disk and have it run couple of "burnin" loops at least before pressing esc to terminate.

The Adobe help file is worth reading too.

And welcome to TSG, by the way :)

4. lhowell

lhowell Thread Starter

thanks for the Doc Memory suggestion. Tried the memory test and ran a few loops. Everything checked out ok.
    I have 128mb I think.
    I can't seem to figure this one out. I will be on the lookout for any more messages. I have not been looking at too many pictures lately so I have not had a fatal message for a few days. Iwill come calling if I get another one.

Oh well
    Happy Computing
    :)

5. lhowell

lhowell Thread Starter

Got another fatal message yesterday.
    This time we were playing a videogame from a cd and the cd did not load and we got a
    fatal exception OE 0028:C006EB2 in VXD VMM(01) +005EB2
    The computer totally froze and we had to restart manually.
    Then the second time it seemed to work???

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

7. lhowell

lhowell Thread Starter

thanks again for the tip.
    Went to the link you gave. The install instructions recommended contacting the hardware manufacturer before making changes to the bios.
    I'm not sure what this means. What hardware does it refer to?

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

That would be the motherboard vendor. It is a good idea, with motherboard model number in hand, to at least go to their website and check to see if their recommended driver set is any different. In most cases it shouldn't be, unless the board has what VIA describes as a "hybrid" chipset. But an email or phone call if possible, to their tech support would give you added confidence.

By the way, you're not actually making changes to the BIOS here, unless you install a BIOS update. Which the VIA4in1 drivers do not do.

9. lhowell

lhowell Thread Starter

I have an e-mail into ASUS re my motherboard. Will let you know how that works out. So far I think this may be the problem as there is no ASUS P3V4X driver listed in my device manager. It says that a driver exists but it is not called anything. Is is possible that windows has made one.?
    I also noticed that our Display Adaptor provider is NVIDIA
    ( we have a RIVA TNT 2 ultra) and the card listed on our invoice is a SNIPER 2 RIVA TNT2 Pro 128 bit....
    Is this a possible problem or is this the same card made by two different providers??
    Anyway Thanks again for all your help.

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

The device manager won't show the motherboard model. But the individual drivers, once installed should show up under the hardware controllers such as the Bus Master.

Here's the vendor page for your motherboard:

http://download.asus.com.tw/mb_dl_menu.asp

the 4.28 version of the VIA drivers appears to be the latest they have there. The ones on the VIA page are a later version, perhaps to include support for WinME and XP

I'm not sure about the difference in your invoicing. I think the "sniper 2" is just the whole package including software. But the card itself is the same. The problem you have is typical of not having the VIA drivers in association with this card and motherboard chipset.

11. lhowell

lhowell Thread Starter

I downloaded the latest VIA driver you mentioned. I did not wait to hear back from ASUS. Too impatient I guess.
    Anyways I installed the driver and our games appear to be laoding normally.

Thanks so much for all the help. I learned lots.
    Laura:)

12. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Glad to hear it. I think you're going to be fine, at least as far as that specfic error is concerned :)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!