1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

FATAL EXCEPTIONS?? Need Advice

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by xico, Apr 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xico

xico Thread Starter

I just reinstalled 98se, but I clicked on a free screensaver site last night that did a little hijacking. I think I got rid of most the the junk, but I've been getting "fatal exceptions OE has occurred at 0028: C0005257 in VXD VMM(01) + 00004257" I had used Regseeker to knock out some of the malware I'd picked up, but I wound up reinstalling all the back up files--which may or may not have been the cause. In the meantime I'll run Spybot and Adaware.
    Thanks for any info, it's greatly appreciated!

Xico (y)

2. gurutech

gurutech

Reinstall 98SE again, and stay away from that free screensaver site!!!!! ;-)

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

I don't think that is or was being caused by the screensaver. You might try testing ram chips separately or in appropriate pairs, as the case may be.

4. xico

xico Thread Starter

I thought of that as a solution Guru, but if I reinstall, I think I'll try a Linux SuSe OS that I picked up a couple of months back, and see if I don't have better luck; but I tend to agree with you Candy, cos when I ran the Belarc Advisor, it said that slot A O was empty, tho slot A 1 had 256 MB of mem.
    Im supposed to have 512. That would explain its behavior--but I just noticed a message when I booted that EMM386 was not installed and that it was unable to set page frame base addresses. EMM386 is strangely familiar.

Any more info would be appreciated. (Microsoft pointed to ram problems too, but I didn't hit the specific violations).

xico :D

5. xico

xico Thread Starter

How do I test those ram sticks?

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Test one by one. Sounds like you don't need pairs installed. If slot 0 says it's empty, that is probably the culprit. Reseat it, pull the other one and see if it'll boot.

7. xico

xico Thread Starter

Okay, thanks, Candy

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!