1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Fatal Exceptions

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by xico, Apr 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xico

xico Thread Starter

And a black screen. I've got a 98se with 120 GB hard drive that's about 2 years old. I was plugged into Yahoo on a message board and was called away for a couple of hours. When I returned I had a black screen. I had to shut the switch off to re start. Then it did a scan. When I went to OE, I got a brief fatal exception, and then another black screen. OE black screen me a couple of more times until I thought maybe it was OE that was the problem. I went to Yahoo and got a black screen--I get yahoo, but when I click on anything, I get either a black screen or a blue one with A Fatal Exception
    OE has occurred at 0028:c0059787 in VXD VMCPD (01) + 00000227 The current app will be terminated. etc.

I went to another site an got Exception EAccess Violation in module SHLWAPI.DLL at 00048AC9 Access violation at address 70AB8AC9 in module SHLWAPI.DLL Read of address 7100A260
    etc. etc.

So, while I can connect to the net, I can't hang on. I tried to run HIJack This, but when I go to save the log, I can't call it up in notepad. The program simply keeps saving the log without opening it.

any suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks for whatever info you can supply.

2. john1

john1

Hi Xico,

You could try an IE.repair ...

have you downloaded any patches/fixes lately,
    i'm told some of these are faulty ...

Regards, John

3. xico

xico Thread Starter

Hi John!

Well, Im on the 98 and Im here, but there's still a problem. I tried to do a restore--all 5 times it failed. Dunno why. I didn't try repair, but I did a reinstall that didn't seem to help much either. But this more M$ sent a patch notice, so I clicked on it and I was able to download it--and here I am. Saturday and Sunday I couldn't have gotten this far. Better let this message get sent and start another.

Cheers

Xico :D

4. xico

xico Thread Starter

Hi John!

Seems to be working. Just prior to checking out Techguy I tried Yahoo, but I got the Illegal Operation message, after which Yahoo disappeared. I don't know if I remember how to get to repair. But I'll look for it. Thanks for the info and feedback. I was thinking about uninstalling IE, and then reinstalling it.
    Oh, but I had been using Crazy Browser. Hmmm. Both CB and then IE were acting up. Weird. I ran Spybot, Adaware, Regseeker, Defrag, plus trying to restore IE or windoze. I'll have to go back to Yahoo to see if the Illegal Operation comes up again. Have a nice day, and thanks again for the imput.

Xico :D

5. john1

john1

Glad its working for you,
    i got minor troubles with I.E. now.

Might have to reinstall ...

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/216991

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice