1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

fatal system error "AUTOCHK"

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by fulleffect, Feb 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fulleffect

fulleffect Thread Starter

i recently installed linux (mandrake 9.2) and now when i try to boot back into windowsxp i get the system message:

"AUTOCHK program not found; skipping AUTOCHK"

which results in a fatal system error and all hope of returning to XP is lost.

what is autochk?
    what happened to my cpu?
    no -- i dont have any windows bootable disks

2. Mithrilhall

Mithrilhall

3. fulleffect

i think i know whats up. i think hda1 (windowsxp) is inactive.

i have my partition magic boot disks, but i am having trouble booting from floppy drive. the floppy option is not on my bootlader, anyone know how to boot from floppy if its not an option?
    or
    anyone know how to add floppy as an option in my bootloader?

4. fulleffect

would it be:

/dev/fd0

for floppy?

5. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

Well, since this seems to be mostly linux here, perhaps you ought to aks this in the linux forum. Anyhow, that kind of thing is not under lilo/grub. You need to hop into your bios and change the boot order.

6. azanelatto

azanelatto

Same happened to me this morning.
    I had two partitions i've created using Partition Magic 8.0, WINXP & LINUX.

When i turned my computer on this morning, it started loading windows XP and a Blue Screen came up saying "AUTOCHK Program not found - Skipping AUTOCHECK" and right after that the machine would automatically reboot.:mad:

Got the problem solved by using the Partition Magic Rescue Disk, for some reason the WINXP partition was HIDDEN. All i did was UNHIDE the partition and everything got back to normal.

:confused:Anyone has any clue why did this happen?:confused:

7. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

No clue. I guess the answer to this is "Always check if partitions are hidden"

8. agullo

agullo

Same happened to me after installation of a new kernel (2.6.3) under Debian,
    so after use of lilo.

When I try to boot XP, I get AUTOCHK not Found.
    Then, after, if I boot Linux, it works but my partition table is not the same:
    "cfdisk" shows me that XP (primary /dev/hda2) partition is not anymore NTFS
    but "Hidden HPFS/NTFS". Under Linux I have an access to windows partition
    in /windows and the partition seems allright.

So windows XP has changed my partition table: indeed if unhidde again
    NTFS, and I reboot linux - without trying to boot XP- my XP partition is still NTFS. If I reboot, trying XP, I get "Autochk not found..." and rebooting Linux,
    the partition is again "Hidden NTFS"!

As a result, it is not enough to unhide NTFS to boot XP... :(

Any new clue?

9. andybruce_69

andybruce_69

...and basically the same problem happened to me as well:

I partitioned my HD with Partition Magic 8 (no rescue disks made though) into a primary partition containing Win XP, and two logical ones, all FAT 32, plus leaving some free space where I then installed Linux Mandrake 9.2
    I then installed lilo bootloader onto the MBR: Linux would start fine but Win XP would get into a loop for autochk not found, skipping autocheck.
    I then erased lilo and restored the original MBR from the recovery console of Win XP disc, but the problem starting Windows persists.

There must be a way to get over this, but ACER technical support simply say "format your HD" while Symantec tech support (I had Norton Go Back installed running between the POST routine and XP boot) has been unreachable in a whole week hanging up on the phone...

My Win XP boot.ini file seems alright, I'm lost...

Andrea

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!