1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Fault in windows 7 with wireless?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Grisbane, Jan 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Grisbane

Grisbane Thread Starter

a few weeks ago my computer stopped being able to automatically connect to wireless networks of any kind.. now whenever i want to go online wirelessly i must go to network connections and select a network.. that isn't the problem though.. the problem is that it fails to connect EVERY TIME and i must go through the troubleshooter.. which then tells me that the access point is bad (which is every access point on the planet) and still does not connect.. but, after going through this process a 2nd time it will connect. it has me confused. I know the first thing said is the driver is out of date, but since toshiba refuses to bring out a new one for this laptop and they have their own drivers for everything on this thing, there isn't much in that route i can do.

2. rainforest123

rainforest123

Hello & Welcome to Tech Guy Forum.

Please run the forum's system info utility & post the results.
    http://forums.techguy.org/personal-news-announcements/948490-tsg-system-information-utility.html

Also, which model & model Toshiba are you using?

When did the problem begin? When did the computer last work well? What changed; a hardware or software install or removal; a W7 update or update to your anti malware; an Adobe or Foxit Reader or Java update perhaps? Check your W7 update history.

Would you consider yourself a beginning, intermediate or advanced computer user?

Also, please provide the brand, model & model # of your wireless router.

The more information that you provide, the sooner will we be able to help you solve your problem.

RF123

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure you have the latest wireless driver from the laptop manufacturer's web site. If you already have it reinstall it anyhow in case the installed instance is corrupted.

What firewall or security suite is, or ever was, on the system?

What wireless adapter is it?

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista and 7 and 8.

Start - All Programs - Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt. [For Windows 8: <Windows Logo> + x - Command Prompt(Admin)]

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

4. Grisbane

Grisbane Thread Starter

my machine is a Toshiba l675d-7016. the driver is the same as the day it was made, they never released an updated version since. it says my wireless adapter is a Realtek RTL8191SE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC. the router is any on the planet... it literally has the same problem no matter what router whether it be at home or at mcdonalds. it always blames the wireless connection point.. and i know that the hundreds of different wireless connections at hundreds of different places that i have tried can't all be bad... it is the computer.

and as i said before, this started about 2-3 weeks ago. and my first attempt to repair it was to re-install the driver for my wireless chip... it had 0 effect. I have run malware bytes, AVAST! and TDSS killer in attempt to weed out any malware or rootkits that may have been culprit, but the machine came up clean...

5. rainforest123

rainforest123

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087313

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice