Faulty CD-Rom

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DarkDevil

About a week ago this started happening with my cd drive and now its annoying... I have a 50x cd-drive... don't know the company.. its a few years old now... maybe 3 or 4... i recently moved it over to a new computer... and it worked fine... no complaints... Recently it hasn't been responding... Its detected by the system... and it seems to be working properly.. until you try to get it to read something... I've tried audio and data... but it will read nothing. A friend of mine suggested it being a power problem... but it ejects fine... and the led's seem to be functioning normally... I even double checked the connection... no luck... I checked the IDE connection... no luck there either... and the audio cable is in place... I changed nothing the day the breakingness seemed to start... except that i moved it 3 spaces down in the case... but that means nothing... please help me...

-Cd-Driveless and confused.

If the drive is bad change it. They’re not that expensive and even name brand drive break, I've had brand new CD drives do the same thing worked five minutes ago then suddenly nothing, the tray open and closed but nothing else works, 9 of those drives where BTC's never buy any product that BTC makes they are all trash. *click here for a CD drive

DarkDevil

Actually i'm looking into buying a CD-RW48x24x48x/DVD16x for ~100 dollars. I just wish this one hadn't broken on me.

:) Is it listed in My Computer and Device Manager? Since you are at a standstill with it anyway, take it completely out of the computer, reboot with out it installed, shut down, power off, and reinstall it again. Be sure to double check the IDE cable connections on both the CDRom and the mother board.

Good luck.

Kilowatt

If it still doesn't work, bootup with a boot disk and choose "start with CDRom support". Change to the drive letter temporarily assigned to the CDRom by typing at the A:\> prompt, E: (or whatever letter is assigned) then press enter. Insert a data CD in the drive and type dir press enter. If it lists the files on the CD then the drive is OK and there is a problem within Windows.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online