1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Faulty connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mazuren, Aug 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mazuren

mazuren Thread Starter

Hello everyone. I write to you as a last resort, so I hope you will be able to help me with my problem or at least hint me in the right direction.

Problem:
    I experience problems with my internet broadband connection when browsing. Every 30-60 seconds, the browser will be unable to find anything. Just searching, trying to find a connection. this will happen for about 30 seconds, and then it's back on. This is a big problem for me.

My setup:
    Modem --> Router --> Stationary Computer (All wired)

Hints:
    1. The problem occours on every computer thats on the network. My stationary, wireless laptop or even a friends computer.
    2. Roters channel changed. No improvement.
    3. Router replaced. No improvement.
    4. Modem replaced. No improvement.
    5. Router skipped: Modem --> Stationary Computer. No Improvement.
    6. Switched to another phoneline box in the house, 1st choice did not work at all, 2nd choice offered no improvement.
    7. Called support 3 times, they can offer me no more.
    8. Support saw a problem with the connection while having a static IP on my systems. This is now changed to a dynamic, and they said it looked a lot better. But still no improvement, and it's exactly the same, so I don't know what they were talking about.
    9. Router and modem reset.
    10. I experience this, most often when browsing and not so often in online games. I believe it must have something to do with the browser being more sensitive with a quick loss of connection, where games will keep simulating an online state if it's only for a few seconds. That further makes me believe that the connection is not lost for 30 seconds but only for a few, and therefore that the browser need to 'catch' the connection in some sort of reset, which makes it feel like a lot more time than the connection is actually lost. This is only my theory.
    11. Computers run XP and Vista
    12. There is of course nothing that is using up the bandwith.
    13. It happens both when security is on and off

Please forget about the router. A direct cable from the modem does the same thing as already said...

I'm no expert, but I'm not stupid either... I believe I've cut of every step that could be faulty, but it's still there!

I really hope someone can help.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Last resort? Ouch. :eek: Are we that bad? :D

You have DSL with a spaghetti bowl of phone lines, right? Hard to tell if the problem is in your wiring or the phone company's.

See this JohnWill post for the best solution for your interior wiring. If you can't or won't do that try disconnecting everything (phones, filters, answering machines, etc.) except the modem and see if that makes any difference.

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    James
    You have hit everything there... I would also suspect some kind of wiring issue. Does your phone calls have issues too?

4. mazuren

mazuren Thread Starter

The only thing plugged in is the modem. I don't have a phone. I suspect the wiring, but I have no experience in how likely that is, and where excatly the problem would be... luckily it's my dad's profession. maybe he can give a hint... and I will call the company again to see if they have anything to say... I will get back to you :)

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
  6. mazuren

mazuren Thread Starter

So... I'm back with news... bad news...
    I called the company and spoke with a fourth guy. He said he saw some noise and blamed it on my wires only being able to take 8M/bit while me having a 10M/bit. He changed it to 6M/bit to be sure and said it looked a lot better. NO IMPROVEMENT. Today my dad came a checked all my wires, in the appartment. there should be nothing wrong with them. They're all connected to the same wire. They all have the same illness. The one with no signal, was because my dad diables it without my knowlegde :p. He says it's not possible to check the signal going into the house. He cleaned a little bit. NO IMPROVEMENT.

Please Help :/

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Purchase a DSL splitter and install it at the telco NID (Network Interface Device). This is the place the telephone lines come into your home wiring, usually either in the basement or outside near the other utility connections. Run a direct line from the DSL port on the splitter directly to the DSL modem. Connect all of the other phone instruments to the telephone output of the DSL splitter. All of the DSL analog side wiring should be CAT3 or better twisted pair from the telco service entrance to the DSL/ADSL modem. You can use one of the twisted pairs in CAT5 cable if you have that on hand. The splitter I've used in the past is the Wilcom PS-36, it's good for any DSL/ADSL service worldwide.

This is as good as it gets for DSL installations, and will usually solve in-house wiring issues.

8. mazuren

mazuren Thread Starter

Do you guys know any program that monitors the line so I might see on some graph what is missing?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/941923

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice