1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Faulty cpu?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by catalepsic, Mar 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. catalepsic

catalepsic Thread Starter

I hope that my assumptions are wrong. I have been experiencing some problems with my laptop, and I think its the processor. Its a compaq pressario m2000 with a celeron m cpu, 512 ram. I was in the middle of a dvd movie when the sucker just turned off. The laptop was hot and I have been suspicious of dust in the fan or the heatsink due to the choppy playback of dvd movies. So I opened up the laptop and remove all the dust that had form a lining in between the fan and heatsink. Ok great, now the damn thing shuts off after a couple of minutes of use. I thought it might have been the HD, so I ran knoopix and it work for a while then it halted. I was able to "walk" windows without any proggies running for like 20 mins. I dual boot suse 10.2 and when I try to load that os, it shuts off in the middle of kernel probing. I also attempted to run the memtest in the suse cd and after 8% pass the laptop shut off. When I opened it, I did not see any signs of burnt hardware. I have not overclocked the cpu, but I am getting the feeling thats the culprit. any suggestions.

2. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

It sounds like you may have dislodged/bumped the heatsink. I would suggest reseating it with some good thermal paste.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/552485

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice