Faulty GPU Fan

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Haine

Banned
So my mother's Geforce 6200 fan has started to catch on the sides of the heatsink, I have no clue if its because the little axle inside the fan has warped, or due to overheating or maybe even in need of greasing.

My first question would be, is there a way to find out if it is even fixable? Second, if not, are any of you familiar with any north american component dealer stores that I may find?

I'm located in Odessa, FL

Ordering online isn't really an option tho if I absolutely had to I would, I'm more interested in just going to some store and snatching up a new heatsink for it.

Unless something has distorted the heat sink, and that's possible, it is likely that the fan's bearings are shot or the shaft would not have enough play in it to hit the sides.

Haine

Banned
So is there any minor quick-fix? Or would I definitely have to purchase a new heatsink?

I kind of doubt the heat-sink is the problem. It's unlikely that it got distorted. It's more likely that the fan is gone.

The quick fix, as far as it goes, is to see where the fan hits the side and try to move the sink so that it doesn't.

I take those fans apart and grease them with molybdenum sulfide, but most people just replace the whole card. I don't even know if the fans are sold separately. Can you see a way to remove that one, if you had a new one?

Triple6

Rob
You'd most likely end up buying a heatsink and fan combo. I'd take off the old heatsink and fan and take it with you when you go to buy a replacement, most computer stores will carry a few different VGA/chipset coolers and you shoudl be able to find a replacement that will fit.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online