1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

faulty gpu

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by steffw, Jun 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steffw

steffw Thread Starter

Hi hope someone can help I bought an AOC monitor from ebay a couple of months ago and plugged my zotac gtx 970 into the MHL-capable HDMI port by mistake and my 970 has stopped working since then,the fans spin,it lights up but no signal from display port,hdmi,or dvi,I used onboard graphics to log into windows to have a look but the card is not recognised at all.I have since got a new card a gtx 1060 6gb which is better and works fine but that 970 is sitting there winking at me and it annoys me there could be something simple wrong with it and its just gathering dust, the aoc monitor turned out to be faulty in the end but surely plugging it into the mhl wouldn't fry my gpu or would it???

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Usually the MHL ready HDMI port can be used for HDMI on a non MHL device such as the graphics
    The difference basically is that the HDMI MHL ready is slightly differently wired to provide a charging voltage to the MHL device such as your phone or tablet with its mini usb port

A NON MHL HDMI port cannot be used as such as the pins that make it MHL are not connected
    However with a monitor purchased from ebay who knows how that HDMI MHL port has been wired if repairs have been made
    Possibly a voltage was sent to the 970

Presumably you are still using the AOC
    I have no knowledge that early editions of HDMI MHL ready were NOT to be used for HDMI from a computer graphics
    Where you have as on some AOC monitors two HDMI ports one being marked as HDMI and one being marked as HDMI MHL, I still find it hard to believe that the MHL ready one could damage a graphics

As the card does not work I tend to suspect a fault on the HDMI MHL port wiring on the AOC

Easy solution - take the 970 to a local computer shop and for just a few £/$ they should be able to give you a definite answer as to repair is even worth considering or not

I think we can most certainly presume it is faulty

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!