faulty monitor? faulty video card?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DarqueMist

Two times in the last week my monitor (a KDS visual sensations CRT) has come on with the image looking like an hourglass (wide at the top and bottom, pinched in the center). This happened imediately upon boot up and both times rebooting has returned the monitor to normal, leaving the computer running does not bring the problem back. Which is more likely, that my monitor is beginning to fail or maybe my graphics card (a saphire, ATI radeon 7000) is failing? Is there some way (other than swaping my monitor out and trying another as this seems so far to be an intermitent problem and may not arise when a new monitor is conected) to check and see which it may be?

Next time it happens, do NOT reboot the PC, just power the monitor off and on again.

If this effects a change then its likely the barrell/pincusion correction circuitry in the monitor.

DarqueMist

I've already tried the power off power on a the monitor first, to no effect. But you just did remind me that in the past I have had the image on my screen roll repeatedly, which would stop if I turned the power to the monitor off then on.

That points to the video card, but I have to say that it's an "unusual" fault then, I would have certainly suggested that it would have been in the monitor itself, to distort the deflection in such a manner.

DarqueMist

thanx, for your help ..... do you know of any diagnostic means to check and see if there is a problem with the card or monitor?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online