Faulty Patriot RAM

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Lens7

I have
Patriot Memory Viper Steel Series DDR4 16GB (2 x 8GB) 4400MHz Performance Memory Kit
on a msi z490 tomahawk motherboard with an i9 10900kf cpu, the pc was working relatively well with 4000mhz speed in xmp profile 1, then i got a blue crash/error message with writing, now my pc will have a message saying memory overclock fail if i go above 2666mhz speed in either xmp profile 1 or 2, could i please get a diagnosis? (850w PSU, NH D15 Cooler if these are relevant) Many thanks in advance

crjdriver

The fastest memory speed that is natively supported is 2933. Many motherboards allow an overclock of the memory either by xmp or manually.
No one ever guarantees an ability to overclock.
I assume this memory is on the approved list for the board mfg. If not, it does not mean it will not work, it means it was never tested and found to work.

Here is what I would do;
1 Remove the pw cord from the rear of the pw supply. Now press the ON button 2~3 times. This removes any residual charge from the pw supply
2 Pull the memory out and blow out the slot or slots with a can of air
3 Replace the memory and be sure it is fully seated
4 Clear cmos with the jumper pins OR if your board has a clear cmos button on the IO panel, you can use that also
5 Replace the pw cord and pw ON. Enter the bios and set memory speed, voltage, and timings manually. Save settings and exit
6 Test memory with something like memtest for at least 1hr. If you do not get any errors, it should be fine. You can let it run longer if you like

Lens7

The fastest memory speed that is natively supported is 2933. Many motherboards allow an overclock of the memory either by xmp or manually.
No one ever guarantees an ability to overclock.
I assume this memory is on the approved list for the board mfg. If not, it does not mean it will not work, it means it was never tested and found to work.

Here is what I would do;
1 Remove the pw cord from the rear of the pw supply. Now press the ON button 2~3 times. This removes any residual charge from the pw supply
2 Pull the memory out and blow out the slot or slots with a can of air
3 Replace the memory and be sure it is fully seated
4 Clear cmos with the jumper pins OR if your board has a clear cmos button on the IO panel, you can use that also
5 Replace the pw cord and pw ON. Enter the bios and set memory speed, voltage, and timings manually. Save settings and exit
6 Test memory with something like memtest for at least 1hr. If you do not get any errors, it should be fine. You can let it run longer if you like
Hi thank you for the response, on the patriot website I found a list of supported CPUS and motherboards which was not listed on Amazon and my MSI Z490 Tomahawk was not listed (but the Z390 Tomahawk was) I have ordered new ram and trying to return the Patriot 4400 but I will definitely follow some of the steps you posted and see if there's any issues with the new ram

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online