Faulty PSU or Faulty HDD???

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ScruffyG

Hello good people.

My PC was running fine but then one night I turned it off and in the morning when I went to turn it on it took ages. There was no slow degradation it just went from being ok to not being ok. When I hit the power button it used to spark up straight away, now it just sits there for about five seconds and then sparks up and loads up slowly. Once it’s loaded it seems to work, but more slowly than it used to.

I have 2 hard drives both partitioned. The C drive and F drive are on the old-ish original HDD and an x and y on the new hdd, I have most of my program files on the c drive and documents etc on the f drive. X and y is mainly for multi media stuff. As I say everything was working fine.

I could be wrong but it seems that when I access the c drive it is slow but when I access the z drive it isn’t as slow unless I launch say an mp3 file then it takes a while for the track to play, I assume and possibly wrongly that its because the mp3 player is coming from the program files an the c drive???

I have run the usual suspects of spyware etc and posted my HJT log for someone to look at and they say it looks fine, there were no nasty surprises on any of the scans. I have scanned the disk and checked for errors and its fine although it did take an age.

From reading forums it seems like it could be a faulty PSU or my hard drive is about to die. I have backed up the suspect hard drive with acronis so my question is how do I go about determining exactly what the problem is?

Some other clues that might help are;
Sometimes on booting up it would scan the z drive and do the error check thing for no apparent reason, well not apparent to me anyway, I never asked it to. I have scanned the z drive since and it was fine

The first morning I had the problem it was trying to boot up from the diskette and just keep cycling through and stumbling at the same point. I changed the bios thing to ignore the diskette and it then loaded up.

Thanks for your time

G

Windows xp home. Service pack 2. Mcafee internet security suite. 1GB ram. Athlon xp 2500+ 1.8mhz

Does the Chkdsk give you any error on the Z drive? Might check all cabling and be sure everything is tight. You talked about C: AND F: on One HDD and X: AND Y: on the other, where does Z fit in?

Why don't you go to the drive manufactuers website, download their diagnostic and test the drive?

ScruffyG

Hi

My apologies, I meant Z and Y not X and Y. I am not aware of there being any errors found on the z drive when it scans but it seems to scan it at random on booting.

G

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online