faulty psu

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dowfoo

just bought a new pc case with a 350w psu,built pc using following
asrock m266a mobo,
p4 1.8ghz,
256 pc2100 ram,
maxtor 40gb hdd,
dvr rom,floppy.
switched on powered up but nothing on screen,lights came on fan started,hdd made noise,
i didnt know what was up so i switched off and moved switch on back of psu to 115v from the 230v position switched back on to see if that made any difference but then nothing happened no power lights etc,so switched off and reset switch to original position now still nothing happens.have i broke it or something.
any suggestions appreciated

Triple6

Rob
Switching the 115/230 switch is not good - thats the voltage - In North America its 115, in Europe its 230V. You could have possibly fried the entire computer.

Since you just got call them up and them tell them it doesn't work. I probably would not mention anything about the switch unless you want to buy all the replacement parts.

dowfoo

thanks,have i really knackered the whole system,
i have just swapped the psu from my old pc it is only 230w but pc powers up lights come on,hdd spins,fan spins but monitor stays blank is it still a psu fault or something else

Is all your parts new or old. Cause if there new you could have a faulty ram or incompatible ram. This happened to me just 1 week ago when I purchase an additional 512 DDR PC-3200 DUAL for my computer, it did not work. So I then did a diagnostics and the ram was crap. Or maybe you exposed your mobo or ram to ESP.

ESP is static electricity. Which also ruins chips. You should always reasemble or assemble computer in a non-capeting area and get rid of any excess static by touching the case before playing around with parts.

dowfoo

all parts brand new only bought them at the weekend,
im always very careful about esp im always touching the case like a looney before i go anywhere near the parts and i built the pc on my desk away from everything.
how can i check if my memory is a dud if i cant get pc to boot or see anything on screen

im having a very similar problem- i think...
i built the pc from scratch- parts i got are either refurbished from newegg, or bought them off local people.
here's the specs:
-AMD Athlon XP 2200+ (this one i bought new from a guy ive known for a long time)
-Asus A7N8X motherboard
-512 mb pc2700 ram (temporary till i get my dual channel ddr)
-Gainward Geforce2 MX 32mb 4x graphics card (also temp)
-400W Duro power supply (the suspect!- this component came from a classified ad listing- it was paired with it's case- which i used for a different system that i sold. the "warranty void if seal broken" sticker is..... well... broken!)

here's the situation:
ii have no ide drives attached currently, just the ram, cpu, cpu fan and h.s., and the video card. i only have one other power supply that will meet the minimum requirements for the board- but it's in the computer i am using right now.
so anayways- here's what happens when i power up- green light, fans all stirrin', and that's it. agp is ok, my mobo has an onboard led indicator that will turn red if it is not. the cpu i would almost bet should be fine...
the ps is questionable though. what do you guys think?

Triple6

Rob
Wait, was the system assembled when you got it or did you put it together yourself?

If someone else built, they should fix it - it didn't work before you flipped the switch so it wasn't originally something you did; although it is now.

If you built it yourself check all the jumpers - mainly the CLEAR CMOS and FSB jumpers to make sure they are set right.

You may also want to setup the motherboard with CPU and fan, 1 stick of RAM, and a powersupply to see if it will turn on. With these parts it should display something on the monitor. To turn it on use the power switch - make sure you connect it to the right 2 pins (check manual) or just use a screw driver to short the 2 pins for a second and it will turn on.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online