faulty RAM?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

t34r

I recently put together a brand new computer from Newegg parts, with 2x 2GB ram. Windows, however, is only recognizing 3.15GB... I also just got a blue screen with the message "Page_Fault_in_nonpaged_area"
Could this be bad RAM?
I have assembled computers before and I know how to properly install hardware, but could it have been an error on my part?

Yes that is corrupt or incompatible ram. Did you match the ram to the board at a site that has a configurator?

The 3.15GB RAM is because you using a 32-bit operating system. It can address 4GB (2^32), but you have to allow for all address space, including hardware, video RAM and the swap file. The RAM Windows displays is what's left after the other devices get their share.

A page fault in nonpaged area can be caused by bad memory. However, it is usually caused by a poorly written program or a bad driver.

I would first test the memory using a program like memtest32. If that comes up clean, I'd start updating device drivers.

You can also check the Event Logs for clues.

Courtney

t34r

Yes that is corrupt or incompatible ram. Did you match the ram to the board at a site that has a configurator?
My mobo is made for 1066 ram, and the ram I ordered is supposed to be rated at 1066, but on startup I've noticed it is recognized as 800...

Also, i just got another bluescreen with IRQL NOT LESS THAN OR EQUAL
Both bluescreens occured while running Age of Conan

iI suppose i should memtest, however I'm notoriously lazy

t34r

I just tried memtest and got an insane amount of memory errors... great...
I suppose I'll RMA my RAM tomorrow, but couldn't it also be my mobo?

My mobo is made for 1066 ram, and the ram I ordered is supposed to be rated at 1066, but on startup I've noticed it is recognized as 800...

OK I can shorten your answer to "no I did not". First of all you only mention the least important factor here in ram compatibility. Density, cas latency and ecc factor are the most important. You don't match speeds to a board, you match the model number if you do not understand how to tell the first 3 things I mentioned. That's why I always buy only ram recommended by a configurator specifically for that board. If I can't find any, then I select another board. What once was difficult has become now beyond difficult and that is matching ram to a board. many times the system will run and you will notice problems months later, and sometimes they will occur right away.
I buy only crucial. Corsair or Kingston because I can go to i.e.; www.crucial.com and get an exact match. Since you are "self confessed lazy", you should be into this because "lazy" and wasted time should never go hand in hand.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online