Faulty Screen, and System Reboot

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Silverunicorn

Hello,

I have recently changed my motherboard, CPU, and RAMs, cause my last CPU had overheating problems.

I have already had a good deal of problem with my new hardware. It gave me a lot of trouble cause it didn't recognize the on-board soundcard, but that problem I got solved.
Next came the problem of file loss after a system restart; NTLDR was missing, which I took care of by repairing/copying the file.

Now, while I was working with the comp, with no overly-excessive-CPU-using program working, just Jetaudio, and firefox, suddenly my computer froze, and started to show me a faulty screen, like when your desktop setting isn't right and the screen goes all lined. Except this wasn't the windows screen, just a black screen with some writings on it, which I couldn't read cause it was all messed up.

ALT+CTRL+DEL wouldn't work, so I restarted manually, and as soon as the starting BIOS post screen was gone, instead of the windos selection page (I have two hard drives and two windowses) it just restated itself again.
I couldn't get it working until i booted with the Windows cd.

Could someone please help me out? There are so many problems like this out there, and so many more solutions I really don't know which one to go for.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Hi and welcome.

Are you sure it's still not overheating?

Also, have you tried using a different power supply?

Silverunicorn

Well I changed the fan and everything, and I have set up the CPU temperature settings in BIOS so that it will warn me when it gets to 70 degrees celcius. my former CPU restarted at 100 degrees! So I'm sure this isn't the case with this one.

Nopes, I haven't, but the guys who sold me the hardware did ask me what my power was, and said that was ok. Do you think it might be the power?

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
What cpu do you have? I wouldn't want mine getting to 70C :eek:

And yes, the power supply could be not putting out consistant wattage.

Silverunicorn

it's AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core, Processor 5000+

Should I get a stabilizer or just a new power supply?

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
I'd try with just a new power supply.

I'm assuming that you put the cpu and fan part together, are you sure you used just enough thermal paste and not too much?

Silverunicorn

Yeah I'll do that.

I used the right amount, I mean the amount that comes with the fan itself.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
What do you mean the amount that comes with the fan itself? Usually they give you way more than you need.

Silverunicorn

um, not really. Everytime I have bought a new fan and CPU, the amount of thermal paste I had was the amount on the fan itself. I didn't apply any extra.

But I checked my power supply, it's 360W, and I need to get a 500W for a minimal good outcome. Thanks for the help.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Ok, I never keep what comes on it. I clean it off and apply fresh.

In any event, it seems you may have figured out the problem.

managed

Allan
Did you re-install XP after changing to the new hardware ?

Silverunicorn

oh yes I did. Windows wouldn't boot at all after I installed the new hardware. I had to reinstall both my windows. before it decided to work.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online