1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Faulty USB port

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tine2105, Nov 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tine2105

Tine2105 Thread Starter

Hello!

I have a HP pavilion g6 laptop that I bought at the end of August. There are 3 USB ports on this machine and I have been using one of them to plug in my wireless mouse USB plug (the mouse is a logitech M305.) Now, this USB port does not work anymore. It doesn't detect the mouse USB plug nor does it read USB devices.

What can I do? Is it possible to physically replace a USB port? How?

Thanks!
    Tine

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Are the mouse and USB devices being detected and working in the other 2 USB ports?

--------------------------------------------------------

What's the complete model number of that HP Pavilon g6 series laptop?

If you don't know for sure, advise what the product number(P/N) and/or model number(M/N) is on the HP sticker.

--------------------------------------------------------

3. Tine2105

Tine2105 Thread Starter

Mouse and USB devices working on the other 2 ports.

Can't find the HP sticker... There's a Microsoft sticker underneath but that's it...

Thanks for helping!

4. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

Since the simplest explanation that fits the problem is usually correct, the port is probably defective. It could be a bad controller or physical damage to the port itself. Generally, my advice would be to simply move the devices to another port, or if you are short on USB ports, buy a USB hub. USB hubs are cheap, and the cost of dealing with warranty service in time and effort (perhaps shipping costs, and potential data loss) isn't likely to be worth the cost of a hub.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
  6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028176

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice