1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Faulty vga card or psu too weak?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by eccwoes, Oct 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eccwoes

eccwoes Thread Starter

Hi I was wondering if anybody has any ideas on this - I bought a second hand ati radeon 9800 pro 128mb vga card. Various artifacts appear onscreen from the moment the system posts, which makes it pretty much unusable. ONE TIME I booted up and it was completely without problems with perfect display. My question is, could this problem be caused by an inadequate power supply - It's only 235watts, or have I definitely got a fried card (my old card sitll works fine). I have tried unplugging all drives except the hard drive to see if it reduced drain on the psu, but same problems sitll occur. The rest of my system is old and therefore I presumed wouldn't need too much power, so I thought the psu might be enough. if it is the card, is there anything that can be fiddled about with to repair graphics cards? thanks

2. norton850

norton850

Your PS is under powered. That could be the problem. But since it did seem to work fine once make sure it is firmly seated in it's slot. Of course no way to know about second hand products. Was it definitely working before?

3. eccwoes

eccwoes Thread Starter

yeah it was definitely firmly seated all times. It was sold as 'untested' and therefore no guarantee or return at auction but i took a chance and put a low bid which won. I wonder if 'untested' in this case meant tested and found to be faulty, or maybe I'm being too cynical. Guess I'll never know. Thanks for the advice, I'll try and find someone with a better psu I can try it with.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/646116

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice