1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

favicon does not appear in IE 8, Chrome, Safari

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by techwriter65, Feb 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. techwriter65

techwriter65 Thread Starter

favicon appears in firefox and opera, but not in IE8, chrome, and safari; all latest browser versions installed as of feb 2013.

favicon is in web help and included in an app installer. The web help is not uploaded to a website. I've cleared cookies, emptied the cache, seen/tried lots of different code with the same result (see title). I've tried on different PCs, waited a week and no change. Please help!

ico file favicon.ico is generated with a favicon generator, is 16x16px, and is in same location as index file.

Running win XP.

here is the code - what am I missing?:

<!--favicon code==============================================-->
    <link rel="icon" type="image/ico" href="favicon.ico">
    <link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico">

2. colinsp

colinsp

First Name:
    Colin
    I have had this before and they eventually turn up. It seems to be JOOTT. Give it a few days and they usually suddenly appear.

This is the code that I usually use for favicon's

Code:
    <link rel="shortcut icon" type="image/x-icon" href=" images/favicon.ico">

I store all my site images in the images directory. (No space between the " and images it is needed to display the code correctly on this forum)

3. techwriter65

Thanks for responding Colinsp

I'll add another favicon line of code with the line you supplied. I have included that 'type' before, but maybe did not give it enough time for the favicon to show up. I wish I knew whether the favicon will indeed appear; it is strange that "eventually" the favicons will show up on IE8, Chrome, and Safari.

4. JiminSA

JiminSA

First Name:
    Jim
    Try deleting your browser cache after you've uploaded the amendment just before displaying your site...:)

5. techwriter65

I got the favicon to apepar in Chrome - I had to convert the ico file to an embedded base65 string and add the string in the reference. I don't understand it but it works.

IE and Safari (PC) still do not show the favicon. The icon is posted at http://www.mccdaq.com/images/daqami.ico and the browsers both display the file from that link, but not from the htm page reference
    <link rel="shortcut icon" href="http://www.mccdaq.com/images/daqami.ico" />

Deleting Cache: I've done iver and over:
    Safari: Edit>Empty cache. I've also deleted WebpageIcons.db and Cache.db from ...\Local Settings\Application Data\Apple Computer\Safari

IE: Delete browsing history dialog - temporary internet files. Is there a location on the local drive to check as well? I don't see anything icon-related in ...\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer

Any ideas?

6. colinsp

colinsp

First Name:
    Colin
    Try creating the icon at Dynamic Drive here and try again.

7. techwriter65

No change. The original icon was generated with a favicon generator as well.

8. colinsp

colinsp

First Name:
    Colin
    Now clear your cache and make sure you use the code from Dynamic drive. Also read the notes on their page.

9. techwriter65

Nope.
    I kept the favicon.ico name in case IE requires that specific name.
    I cleared the cache again; uploaded the icon to my site and verified that it is appears in IE and Safari (http://www.mccdaq.com/images/favicon.ico). The code on the Dynamic Drive site is the same as in my htm file.

The icon does not appear in the tab when the htm file is viewed in IE and Safari.

The site said, and I have read in other posts, that it may take a couple days for IE to show the icon, though i am still waiting 3 weeks for my previous icon (daqami.ico) to appear. Now both icons are uploaded. I have tested code for both. No icon appears.

10. colinsp

colinsp

First Name:
    Colin
    Check on another PC is the last thing to suggest.

I have just checked your home page in Safari, IE and Firefox. Safari and FF show a Favicon even though it isn't defined in your page source but it is not the icon on your link. IE doesn't show one.

11. JiminSA

JiminSA

First Name:
    Jim
    It may not be the problem and forgive me Colin, but there is an erroneous space in the beginning of your favicon URL:eek:
    and maybe it's not finding your images folder - also, I vaguely remember reading that a favicon should be placed in the root folder of the site.
    Suggest you change your link rel to this...
    Code:
    <link rel="shortcut icon" type="image/x-icon" href="favicon.ico">

and move it to the root folder:)
    That format has always worked for me in all browsers in short order (certainly not 3 weeks!!;))
    Incidentally. I assume that you renamed daqami.ico to favicon.ico??

12. techwriter65

yes.
    I am now maintaining two versions of the htm test file - one that references daqami.ico and one that references favicon.ico.
    The icons don't show on the browser tabs in IE or Safari.

13. JiminSA

JiminSA

First Name:
    Jim
    Could we have another look at your link rel's?

14. techwriter65

<link type="image/x-icon" rel="shortcut icon" href="http://www.mccdaq.com/images/favicon.ico" />

<link type="image/x-icon" rel="shortcut icon" href="http://www.mccdaq.com/images/daqami.ico" />

15. JiminSA

JiminSA

First Name:
    Jim
    - this from a reliable internet source.
    Drop the link rel's completely and upload your favicon.ico to your root folder and call it favicon.ico... and let's see;)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!