favicon.ico problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Gezza

I'm working with Windows XP

I have created a web site with Front Page

In this site, I have added a number of favicon.ico for a shortcut to my site.
I have edited this shortcut and come up with a final design (faviconRSpirit.ico) which I have added to my site.

However, each time I publish my web site and create a shortcut for it, one of the older shortcuts appears on my desktop.

I have tried everything.

Including:

Deleting Temporary Internet Explorer icons
Removing icons from the Recycler folder
Removing icons from
C:\Documents and Settings\Gerry\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Recent

Adding:
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="http://www.relationalspirituality.com/faviconRSpirit.ico">
to my home page

This is SO frustrating - bloody microsoft

Anyone got an easy solution?

Thanks

Gerry

Gezza

Thanks for responding

I have the favicon located in the normal place - the root directory of my web site where IE suppose to (?) pick it up when somebody right clicks to create a shortcut.

I have also added the following HTML to the index page of the site:

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="http://www.relationalspirituality.com/favicon.ico">

But it still just selects one of my old icons and sticks it on the desktop

Gerry

Oh, if that link is exactly right, look, it is telling the browser to find favicon.ico, not faviconRSpirit.ico.

Gezza

sorry about that
a typo

It should have read:
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="http://www.relationalspirituality.com/faviconRSpirit.ico">

Just to get this straight, you are just talking about the icon that appears in your favorites next to the name of the site being incorrect? Or is it a shortcut that you are saving for the site onto, say, your desktop? Because when I save the site in my favorites I get the correct icon and when I save a shortcut to it on my desktop I get the correct icon. How about searching your PC for *.ico to find all versions of the icon and deleting or zipping the ones you don't want to be accessed? Since things seem to work ok here, I am somewhat at a loss - perhaps if you posted the HTML from a misbehaving file or zipped an link with the wrong icon and posted it I could help more.

Of course, you can also click on the icon and go to properties and change the icon - if you know where the correct one is, that is the fastest way to fix this annoyance.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts