1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Favicon in IE

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by BillC, Mar 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BillC

BillC Thread Starter

I've been going nuttier than I already am trying to figure out why I can not see favicons in my Internet Explorer 6.0. All I get is that boring IE icon on every page. Foxfire works fine, but not IE. Is there a setting I'm missing somewhere? :confused:

2. Sponsor

3. Augie65

Augie65

To make favicons stick in IE, you need to locate it on the web, save it to a folder on your hard drive, then change the default IE icon to that favicon. To find a website's favicon (for those sites that use them), you will ususally find it in the default directory for the website on their web server. For example, you can get Google's favicon by going to www.google.com and then typing favicon.ico after the URL. In other words, you can see it at http://www.google.com/favicon.ico. Right click on it and save it to a folder on your hard drive. Then, right click on the website name in your Favorites, select Properties, and click on Change Icon. Navigate to the folder where you saved the favicon and select. Click Apply and OK.

4. Shamou

Shamou

I tried that Augie65... unfortunatley, it never worked for me.... I just had to give up. First thing I know, those boring IE icon just came back. If it works for anyone, please PM me and tell me about it.

5. jrom727

jrom727

It is working... I tried it.

Make sure you save the favicon itslef to your hard drive..

Attached Files:

6. iworld

iworld

to veiw the favicon you have to have the website bookmarked.

7. BillC

BillC Thread Starter

Thank you for the suggestions, but it did not work for me. When I use Firefox, any site with a favicon will display it by simply going to the site. In IE, I tried everything suggested including saving the icon, changing the icon in the 'properties' of the site in my favorites, but still no go. Just that nasty boring IE icon.

I'm beginning to think there is a corruption somewhere along the way in IE. The Microsoft 'help' sites says it should automatically display if a site has a favicon. There may be a setting somewhere else I'm missing, but I've yet to find it.

8. Augie65

Augie65

I don't use IE anymore except to install Microsoft updates, but I set up a google favicon for my favorites and it works for me. IE will not automatically save the favicon for me either. I went to the google favicon.ico like I suggested above. Save it to a folder on your hard drive and not a temp folder. I just created a folder in My Documents and saved the google icon there. After being saved, just right click and rename the icon from what it was automatically saved as. Then open your favorites, right click on the saved Google link and select properties. Then click change icon, select browse, and go to the saved icon and select it, Apply and OK. I used Google, but you do the same for any site you want that has a favicon.

9. BillC

BillC Thread Starter

You know I tried exactly that. Used a favicon I had stored in My Documents, went to the favorites list in IE, changed the icon, clicked 'apply', and it didn't change. I went back into properties and found the boring IE icon had replaced itself back. I think my IE browser is screwed up some how. At least now I know I tried. BTW, I too use FF most of the time and it works great. Thanks for your input.

10. Topazz

Topazz

BillC I have the same problem with favicons as you do in that they don't display in the address bar nor in my favorites folder. It is not really a problem for me as I use Opera but I did try Augie65's method to locate the favicon on a website and save it to my hard drive. It then displayed in IE's address bar and in the favorites folder. I did, however, need to restart IE to see it.

Like you, I would be interested to know why favicons do not display in my IE browser normally when they do in other people's.

11. BillC

BillC Thread Starter

Topazz. Thanks for the reply; at least I'm not the only one. The other day a favicon did show up in IE but after refreshing the page it went away. What's up with that? I too use another browser, Firefox, but it would be nice to resolve this.

12. Topazz

Topazz

It could have something to do with your cookie and/or temp internet files settings. Are they set to purge the cache after each session or refuse all cookies? Could you possibly have a third-party extension blocking similar things?

I have none of these settings enabled but I am yet to try resetting everything in IE back to defaults as I am not too concerned about it myself. The reason I was interested in this topic was because I know of other IE users with the same problem and was trying to help them.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/446556