1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Favorite authors?

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by silentmage, Nov 6, 2007.

Advertisement
  1. silentmage

silentmage Thread Starter

I am a freak when it comes the King, but a few of my others are koontz and ludlum. Also, has anyone hear of Garth Nix?? I got hooked into his abhorsen trilogy in high school, read it 3 times already. i just got around to purchasing the books for it.

2. ashes@work

[email protected]

First Name:
    Ashley
    IM pretty sure this has been done a million times.. But im a huge King fan myself.. reading "the girl who loved tom gordon" now... ive ready about 25 books so far of his..

But another new author.. Who KING suggested.. is Gillian Flynn.. Shes new.. wrote "Sharp Objects".. omg the gory detail this girl has.. its amazing!

3. silentmage

what do you think about the inheritance series (eragon, eldest..)? i was very dissapointed in the movie, but cant wait for the next 2 books.

4. ashes@work

[email protected]

First Name:
    Ashley
    that would be a series Ive not started yet...

dont think ive watched the movie either...

Although I was surpised on how well they did 1408 based off a short story.....

5. Wino

Wino

Most favorite of all ....................James A. Michener. Next James Clavell.

6. silentmage

the books are great, goes so much more into detail of how eragon and his dragons bond was made, and his training to become a dragon rider; you're not missing anything with the movie though. i never got a chance to read the short story of 1408, which collection is it in?

7. ashes@work

[email protected]

First Name:
    Ashley
    Its in Everythings Eventual... which in all reality, i didnt like all that much. Honestly I feel King is not the best short story writer and he has so much to put into his work you just dont feel likes its done in 30 pages...

8. silentmage

i don't know, i absolutely loved "the mist" and cant wait for the movie to come out. there are a few other short stories he does i really like, but cant remember them off the top of my head. most of them are in skeleton crew and night shift.

9. ashes@work

[email protected]

First Name:
    Ashley
    which I have read both... theres also one called something 4.. which they are "short stories" that are a lil longer...

those are alright.. 2 of 4 of them i think i liked.

10. EdtheRed

EdtheRed

Favourite authors?

King, Crichton, Terry Brooks, Terry Pratchett, Robert Newcomb, Iain M Banks to name a couple.

11. ashes@work

[email protected]

First Name:
    Ashley
    And some of the good books you have read and suggest from those authors? ....

12. EdtheRed

EdtheRed

King & Crichton - Everything they've ever written :p

Pratchett - The Discworld Series, starting with The Colour of Magic (favourites = Night Watch, The Fifth Elephant, The Last Continent and Wyr

Banks - the Culture novels (my favourites are Excession and Consider Phlebas)

Newcomb - The Fifth Sorceress

13. ashes@work

[email protected]

First Name:
    Ashley
    Humm.. other then King.. I dont know any of the others, and cant seem to remember hearing of any of the books either.

Im a huge King fan and have only read a few so far I dont like.. normally even his ones that are off, are good. ..

14. EdtheRed

EdtheRed

Never heard of Michael Crichton? Jurassic Park/The Lost World? Sphere? He wrote the books that those movies were based on (Along with a hell of a lot of other good books).

Have you read The Dark Tower series yet?

15. silentmage

i really like the bachman stuff King did. Thinner was an exceptional book, as well as The long walk and The regulators.

I have heard of Crichton, but havnt read any books. i realy like the movie sphere and i'm kind of afraid to ruin it by reading the book. As for the dark tower i have all of them, and am halfway through book 6. which one was your favorite?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!