1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Favorite Linux Distro ?

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by Torner, Apr 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Torner

Torner Thread Starter

2. pelokwin

pelokwin

Hey Torner,
    I gotta go with puppy, I was able to do installs on two laptops that were all about done (an IBM and a Gateway Solo). I tried Feather and it did not work at all, and other Linux distros would not work because they took more ram then my laps had.
    With the Gateway Solo I totally wiped clean all traces of Win. it worked fine up until my son pulled it off a table by the power cord:eek: and broke the screen. The IBM Think Pad that still runs off of puppy 2.0. I had needed a go between from work to home. I used Open Office in conjunction with Excel and Word and it worked great. At first I used a live CD but it would not save any of my sessions so I did (with a lot of help from the folks at http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/ ;) a install and that did the trick. Just about a year ago I got a Mac G4 with Win. Office for Mac so the IBM has gone in a box but it still runs great as of this past summer
    opps:mad::( I spoke too soon, I just started up the IBM and I am getting Error codes 00161 and 00163 (date and time). It will not accept my correction and let me move on....
    well back to the drawing board

3. WARnux

WARnux

Who doesn't like easy to use? I've recently switched to Ubuntu.

4. WARnux

WARnux

I've also switched to using the Gnome desktop instead of KDE. I have high hopes that Gnome will implement some of KDE's great features...The more people that ask for them the more chance that they'll do the features:

http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=527038

For instance
    1. F4 to bring up the command line in the current browsing directory.
    2. When windows are opened, the window manager puts them in places that optimize desktop space instead of stacking them on top of each other.

5. utanja

utanja

Debian unstable with gnome and custom kernel

6. WARnux

WARnux

Any distro can become unstable using a custom kernel if you're not careful...

7. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor

It's not that bad, really. I was a long time Slackware user and constantly kept my kernel updated from source AND I usually had a new kernel installed before the other distros did.

What caused me the most grief was upgrading glibc from source. Now that would cause my system to stop working if I didn't do that correctly. :)

Peace...

8. WARnux

WARnux

That's one of the greatest things about Linux - even the core of the operating system can be updated while it is running and all files overwritten BEFORE reboot (In Windows they are stored in a temporary dir).

9. utanja

utanja

I have yet to have a real problem that I could not solve running debian unstable....

10. bkdc

bkdc

I have two favorites:
    PCLinuxOS 2007
    Puppy Linux 3.0.1

11. horus006

horus006

My Favorite is Ubuntu, I tried Kubuntu but I liked using the Gnome desktop over KDE

12. kickback999

kickback999

My fav is fedora 8, it is easy to use and makes the learning curve of Linux much more gentle in a better way than Ubuntu, which imo is too dumbed down and just holds your hand too much, while still allowing you to learn your way around Linux reasonably quickly. It seems much more responsive and more stable than any Winblows I've ever used.
    I dont like Ubuntu because
    a) it has a crap name.
    b) its slower and more cumbersome than fedora.
    c) its for the sort of people who call the monitor a computer, and the computer a disk drive.

13. Arcadion

Arcadion

I've been using Linux since 1998, and have tried most of the well-known ones as well as Solaris and a few different BSDs; and while it's true that you learn more about how things work by using a more serious bare-bones OS (e.g. Debian, Gentoo, FreeBSD) instead of a polished user-friendly one (e.g. Ubuntu, PCLinuxOS, Fedora), I have high blood pressure and can do without the stress. My main workstation at home multi-boots Windows XP, 64 Studio (based on the AMD64 port of Debian stable) and Linux Mint (based on Ubuntu). 64 Studio is useful for making music as it has a realtime kernel and lots of useful multimedia software bundled with it, but the realtime kernel isn't any good for multitasking or running VMware. Linux Mint is just nice to use all-round, they took Ubuntu and made it more friendly and intuitive (yes, easier to use than Ubuntu).

14. adanedhel728

adanedhel728

I started out using Kubuntu, or at least the liveCD, which I couldn't get to recognize my HD, then Debian, which I couldn't get to dual-boot with Windows, then Mepis, which I think is pretty good, then Ubuntu, then I tried booting Knoppix from a usb drive, then OpenSuSE which gave me all kinds of weird problems, and now back to Ubuntu.

Ubuntu's the only one I've tried that hasn't given me cryptic error messages that take weeks of online research to fix. There are things about it I don't like, but overall I think it's my favorite desktop distro that I've tried so far (but I want to try Mint; I'd like to get around to it sometime).

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/701854

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice