Favorites in Firefox?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Susie N

Hi all,

I've just downloaded Firefox. I'm used to IE, and I am getting frustrated with the Favorites in Firefox. I like to be able to have the favorites list static to the left of the page so I can sort, delete, etc. without having to bring it back up everytime I do something. I was wondering if you guys knew of a way to set Firefox so that I can keep the Favorites list showing until I want it closed. Help?

This may not be what you want, but if you click on View > Sidebar > Bookmarks, your favorites will always be there unless you close the sidebar by clicking the red X.

Susie N

Well, that certainly helps with the sorting and deleting. Thanks so much!!

Do you use Firefox? Did you pick a theme? I have the one that it gets downloaded with. I am trying to get used to not seeing a print button and all those other convenient buttons like in IE. I am just tired of being vulnerable with IE, ya know?

Thanks again!

you can add a print button and others in FF also .....click view , toolbars , and then customize . now add whatever you like .and FF is a great browser but is also starting to be " hacked " like IE to.

Susie N

Thank you!! That really helps me!

I'm disappointed to hear it's being hacked into. :( Is there a safer browser out there?

browsers are like automobiles ......all manufacturers have the best . but FF is currently ahead on the safe list although IE is still by far the most widely used browser , go figure . :rolleyes:

Yes I do use Firefox and love it. On my desktop, I have the NOIA 2.0 eXtreme and on my laptop, I use the Silver Skin theme. You can download and easily switch between them.

Don't overlook the myriad of extensions available as well.

i have volume control and others integrated in my keyboard or i would be using the foxytunes extension . lots listed on the mozilla forums .

Susie N said:
I'm disappointed to hear it's being hacked into. :( Is there a safer browser out there?
I would not go so far as to say it is "safer" than Firefox but Opera is pretty much as safe as you can get and any vulnerabilities discovered are fixed very promptly.

I used to use Firefox but now prefer Opera for its many advanced features that are built-in rather than added as extensions. It is very customisable and the Opera forums are a goldmine of information on how to customise it exactly as you wish.

Best of all it is a very fast browser, much faster on my old second computer, a Pentium II 266MHz which runs Windows 98. Firefox was very slow on that machine. On this, faster computer, it is slightly faster than Firefox but not noticeably.

A lot of people are put off Opera because the free version comes with adverts which, if you choose the Google ads, is a bar no larger than the width of a toolbar at the top of the window. I consider that to be a small price to pay for such a great little browser.

I used to use Firefox but now prefer Opera for its many advanced features that are built-in rather than added as extensions. It is very customisable and the Opera forums are a goldmine of information on how to customise it exactly as you wish.
This is one of the many reasons why Firefox is better than Opera IMO. It's not loaded with a ton of features you don't want or will never use.

Firefox give you the choice...that's the key difference.

The strange thing is that the download for Opera is 1.1MB less than the download for Firefox so this "ton of extra features" is not exactly causing Opera to be bloated.

Customising is just a matter of editing the .ini files rather than downloading extensions that usually break with each upgrade.

Susie N

Thanks so much for this info! I appreciate it!

One more question.....you know how in IE, if you use the back key, it takes you to the exact spot you were on before? I notice with Firefox, it takes you all the way to the top of the previous page. Is there a way around this?

I never use this feature in Firefox since I'm always opening links in new tabs. However, I tried it and it did return me to the exact spot I was on before.

I'm not sure why your Firefox doesn't perform in this manner. Perhaps clearing your cache and cookies will help.

Instead of the backspace key, try the back button.

Susie N

Hmmm...I don't use the backspace key. I use the back button in the browser. I worded that wrong. Oh well, it's not that important I guess. =)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online