1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

favorites websites

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by gailadgirl, Sep 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gailadgirl

gailadgirl Thread Starter

Using Windows 98. For 4-1/2 years was a customer of msn ISP. I have switched (in the last 2 weeks) to bellsouth. Now I cannot access my list (a very, very long list!) of website favorites - apparently they are stored on msn server. Contacted msn as to how I could access/retrieve/import my favorites to IE, but they will not reply. Personally, I believe this is a violation of my privacy, since this list of website favorites was my personal information, for my personal use. Seems unless I am a customer of msn with msn9 installed, I'm out of luck, which appears to be monopolizing. (Before switching to bellsouth, I did load msn version 6.2, but still my long list of favorites would not pop up, so I assume you must have msn9 installed to access). Any help/info you could give me would be very much appreciated. Unless I can import this list, I will have to search for & re-save these websites. Thanks!

2. Deke40

Deke40

No matter who your ISP is you should have a store of Favorites under C:\Windows\Favorites if you have been using the Favorites button on your IE toolbar. If your were not storing them as above and were actually storing them on MSN's server and have left them you and have no access to your old ISP have you tried to log in to their home page and use your old id's and access them?

3. gailadgirl

gailadgirl Thread Starter

Thanks Deke: Checked for c:windows/favorites but nothing there. I was saving them using the "favorites" icon. After I signed up for msn9, I recall now that my home page always read "msn internet explorer" and not "microsoft internet explorer". Thus, they must have been putting them on their server. I also tried logging in to their home page and using old id's, but nothing there. When I was having technical problems with msn9 & messenger, I went back to older version (6.2) of msn but again, all my favorites were missing. Seems the only way I can retrieve them is by having msn9 as my isp. As I explained in my initial question, msn can't(won't) assist me. Believe this is called "theft" of personal information in my opinion. Maybe the FTC can handle my complaint. You'd think msn would inform people about this in advance of upgrading to their new versions.

4. Deke40

Deke40

I have mine saved in My Documents-all 110 folders and 991 favorites. Ridiculous isn't it. :D

5. bookiej

bookiej

I have the same problem, but I haven't yet unsubscribed from MSN. I guess I have to do it manually.

I have learned to keep my favorites in IE instead of MSN's 9 version.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276706

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice