1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Favorites

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by pharmer, Feb 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pharmer

pharmer Thread Starter

Something has recently happened involving my "Favorites" folder. When I try to open the Favorites frame in IE6, it now takes two to three minutes to open. Although I have quite a few sites in my Favortites folder, it never took more than a second or two to open. I really don't want to delete them and start over since they represent many years of finding good sites. I've performed a virus scan using Norton and found no contamination. Does anyone have any idea of what happened?

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, Let's try a few things to try and regain functions::
    If you have just done these things, do them again-
    Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Cleanup
    Take care of Temp Internet Files, but watch the TEMP files- not good to delete any from the past few days, OK?
    Next, Start>Settings>Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs
    Find the Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 and Internet Tools
    Click "Remove" (we are not uninstalling, just fixing)
    Put a dot in "Repair this version of IE" and run the tool.
    Follow the prompts, see what it says at end, if it fixed anything or it is messed up and you have to reinstall.
    Try the Internet after that, try opening Favorites.
    Do you ever get any messages about system resources??
    Also, have you installed SpyBot Search and Destroy to use for removing those unwanted components commonly called spyware?? Or, do you use AdAware, either old 5.83 or new 6.0 version to do same??
    There are some other things to try, the common things like Restore Defaults in IE settings, but will wait to hear back.
    Have you run a good, well-updated antivirus program to scan the entire drive lately?
    Do you use any third-party Cookie cleaners, or have you emptied that folder recently? When you run Disk Cleanup, you may be prompted to "Delete all cookies"---that is your call, you must have your password-using sign-into site's passwords saved somewhere so you dont lose them, because deleting cookies will remove the auto sign-in function until you re-sign into those sites!! (just in case you didn't know)

3. pharmer

pharmer Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I run AdAware and Window Washer. These aren't new. I also run Norton 2003 AntiVirus and find no infection. Following your reply, I ran all three. Nothing was found on Norton after a full system scan. I routinely run Window Washer 4.7 and AdAware 5.83. I then ran the fix program for IE6 from the "add/remove program" option and no error messages were reported. I restarted the computer (I'm running 98SE) after a full shutdown and tried IE6. It still took two to three minutes for the favorites to load and display. No, I don't get any messages concerning system resources. I also ran Scandisk and defragmented the hard drive yesterday without seeing any change.

4. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Approximately.....

How many entries to you have in Favorites? (not counting any main folders)

And, have you attempted to categorize them by creating and moving them to folders?

5. pharmer

pharmer Thread Starter

There are probably about 1000 entries, most of which are in folders. Iknow it sounds like a lot and it probably is but the slowwww loading is new. Previously it loaded fairly quickly.

I tried an experiment and moved most of them from the windows/favorites folder leaving only a few. However, I then found that the favorites are listed in the registry so I don't think I really accomplished anything meaningful. When I tried IE6 again, it called on the registry and apparently ignored the meager contents of the windows/favorites folder. I don't know enough about the folder structure to understand what really happened.

6. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, AdAware 5.83 should not be used, it is long outdated and has been replaced by version 6.0....you should uninstall the 5.83 and get the free or premium of 6.0. Or, try SpyBot Search and Destroy, they play nicely together.
    Have heard that there is no limit on Favorites, I asked that question once at a forum, a lot of replies came in that they used thousands....seems hard to imagine.
    You did not say anything about deleting TEMP files and Temp Internet files....
    You just might have better luck rolling back IE to a lower version and get a new copy of your present one.
    Have you imported Favorites from another browser?
    Lagging performance like this suggest some spyware running....I would get the newer AdAware AND SpyBot...
    Here is the site for SS&D: http://www.lurkhere.com/~nicefiles/
    You download to desktop, and run the file to install. Open the program up.....while online, click the Online tab of SpyBot window, then click "Check for Updates" and download updates.. do this before you run the program and remove anything. After running and removing, reboot, and run it again.
    You can and should uncheck, in File Sets, the Usage Tracks box, no need to remove all that. This is found in the Settings in SpyBot menu where you see Online, etc.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119560

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice