1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

fax from xp

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by john32, Sep 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. john32

john32 Thread Starter

I have just learned that you can fax documents from you pc.
    I read someware that you can fax documents from ms word
    but i can not get it to work or i am missing some software. does any one know how to fax from word, or where to get a FREE fax program for xp

any help would be much appreciated :confused:

2. Dan O

Dan O

3. john32

john32 Thread Starter

i set up windows xp fax but the transmition fails. in the part that asks please select the fax device the only option i have is Pctel Platinum v.90 Modum. I have an ADSL D-link high speed modem can i send faxes to people not connected to the internet. or is there some other reason the transmition is failing

4. Dan O

Dan O

Yes you can send a fax to anyone who has a fax machine or PC with a modem with a fax option, which is setup to receive calls.

To get your's working you may need to contact the modem manufacture or visit their web site for XP drivers as it appear the driver needed was not include with XP.

5. john32

john32 Thread Starter

i phoned the modem service provider and they said that the modem is for
    high seed internet and you need a seperate modem to send a fax.
    my computer is a compaq presario 5000 series it has a built in 56k modem
    could i use a splitter to run a seperate modem to the phone jack and how would i set up win fax to know which modem to use.

6. Dan O

Dan O

7. SacsTC

SacsTC

If you are using ADSL, you cannot fax from it. Your dsl provider may also provide a dial-up connection you can use. The fax proggie will only work through the regular 56K modem.

8. john32

john32 Thread Starter

I installed the the driver for xp and tried again to send fax , and the message says no dial tone the phone line is in use or not connected. how do i set up my 56k modem to work with winfax. Do i need to talk to my ISP

9. john32

john32 Thread Starter

10. Dan O

Dan O

John,

Is your PC modem connected to the telephone jack on the wall?

No you don't need the ISP to setup anything. How it works is your PC modem acts as a fax and call another fax and they exchange fax data.

11. john32

john32 Thread Starter

I talked To my ISP and they said to check if your modem is fax capable. I have a pctel platinums v.92 modem I did a search and can not find if it is fax capable.
    also, when i connect with the dial up modem and try to send the fax it does not go through and when i send a fax with it disconnected it says fax pending. I have tried to trouble shoot with in win-fax help menu but connot find a solution.
    maybe I should buy a fax machine.

12. Dan O

Dan O

Buying a fax an option, they are very inexpensive now days. I just upgraded one of my Printers and it has a built-in fax, which is really easy to use and another option.

13. john32

john32 Thread Starter

I think my best option is to watch out for a good multi function fax scanner printer, as they are not much more then the fax emulating software out there.

Thanks for reply

14. dawgoner

dawgoner

I fax from my computer all the times. I have a cable modem to get on the Internet, but I also have a 56k modem, and that's one I use for faxing. I use a phone line from the computer to my phone jack. I can fax to any fax machine, not just from computer to computer. My Phone/Fax program is called "Classy Phone Tools". Here's a picture. I also use it as an answering machine for when my regular answering machine is off and to make phone calls. It works great!!

P.S.
    I must add that when I only had the 56k modem, I could not send out a fax while I was online, as the line would be busy and could not send the fax. Now with the two modems, I can be online and fax at the same time.

Hope it helps.

Attached Files:

• fax.gif
      fax.gif
      File size:
      46.2 KB
      Views:
  15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270695

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice