1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Fax Help needed

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by Sianavlis, Aug 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sianavlis

Sianavlis Thread Starter

I am in the middle of redoing my home office. I have an old fax which is huge. I also have a relatively new HP1300 scanner/printer. My DSL connection is on my fax line. Is there a way to set up my computer to receive all the faxes and then print them on the HP, but more so, can I send a fax by scanning and then sending? then get rid of this huge old fax machine. Thanks for your help.

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You need a phone line and a dial-up modem to send faxes unless you subscribe to an online faxing service such as eFax. http://www.efax.com

3. Rockn

Rockn

You could set up any computer in the office with a fax modem as a fax server using something like WinFax. The only thing about doing that is you cannot fax hard copies of documents that require signatures. There are also all-in-one fax/pinter/scanner machines out there that will act as a fax server.

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Couldn't Sianavlis sign a hard copy of the document and then scan it into the computer using the scanner portion of their scanner/printer? As far as I know, the faxing software should be able to send a picture file of a scanned document without any problems.

5. Sianavlis

Sianavlis Thread Starter

Thank you for your replies. What I really want to do is be able to
    recieve my faxes right to my hard drive then print them later. Cant seem to find anything that can tell me if that is possible.

6. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    You did not mention your operating system and I will assume you are using a current version of XP...

On the Microsoft web site:

Faxing in Windows XP
    Published: October 21, 2002

If you're running Windows XP, you can finally donate that old fax machine to a local charity and use the desk space for something more valuable—like a box of doughnuts. An easy-to-use fax service is built into Windows XP so you can send and receive faxes from your computer.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/crawford_02october21.mspx

Still seems to be available in my control panel with the latest updates to Windows XP home.

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

cwwozniak, that doesn't work unless the computer has a dial-up modem connected to an actual phone line.

8. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Right. We do know that the DSL is shared on an existing FAX line. That takes care of half of the problem you mention. We are just not yet sure if there is fax modem available. Sianavlis has never said one way or the other.

If the computer has a fax modem and is near the DSL modem, a simple DSL/POTS splitter on the existing fax line would take of connecting both modems. An internal PCI card or external RS-232 fax/data modem can be added to the computer for under not a whole lot of money.

EDIT: Removed wrong information about pricing on NewEgg.com. A PCI Fax modem card was under $6.00 USD + S&H.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490160

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice