1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Fax modem stopped working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by larrycleve, Jan 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. larrycleve

larrycleve Thread Starter

I have a motorola SM56 fax modem that used to send faxes fine. I don't use it that often so I don't know when it stopped working. When trying to send a fax now through mighty fax it says modem not configured correctly. I tried other fax programs that said there was a problem with the modem. Device manager says the modem is working properly and it queries it with success. Mighty fax has a button to test the modem and it says it works fine. I don't believe there's a problem with the phone line as I plugged the modem directly into the wall and connected the phone into the modem. The phone works fine. I tried this program called modem doctor which gives various error messages. It says the modem is not connected or turned on and the driver is not windows compatible. These don't seem to make sense as winxp in device manager sees the modem. I tried different initialization strings that didn't make any difference. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the modem as well as reinstalling the driver with no success. I've totally run out of ideas. Help! :confused:

2. larrycleve

larrycleve Thread Starter

I bought an external usb modem from compusa for $39 and it works perfectly. Obviously the old modem got borked somehow. I guess like in life if something isn't used much it stops working. (Any innuendoed pun intended :))

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

PC based devices cannot really tell if a modem is borked or not, if the failure is beyond the interface buffers. They just cannot see beyond that point.

Its not uncommon to have the "phone line" side get fried which is invisible to the diagnostics.

The modem is one of the few devices that has a dual connection, between the phone network and the power network and therefore is highly susceptible to transient voltages that are developed during electrical storms or power system disturbances.

4. lisakmusco

lisakmusco

This sounds very familiar to my situation. Modem diagnostics (both from device manager and a modem test program provided by dell) say the modem is fine, except it is not getting a dial tone. I've tested the jack and the cord and confirmed they work. Plus, have a phone plugged into the modem, and it works fine, too. Just computer can't seem to dial out -- neither from dial-up networking, fax program, or juno dial-up internet access.

Update -- tried disabling the serial ports in bios, as suggested above. No change. I can't find where to change the comport the modem is using.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437352

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice