1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Fax over VOIP Cable Phone

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by silverado4, Jul 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. silverado4

silverado4 Thread Starter

I used to fax over my phone line, and since I went to cable phone, I can't do it any longer. Does anyone know of any software that will enable me to do this? I have a us robotics card in my computer, and SUN Rocket cable now. I love the phone, don't want to give it up, but I want to fax again. Sun Rocket said it cant be done, I don't believe it with all you smart people out there. Someone must know how I can do it. It hooks up, I hear the connection, but it won't work, must be in the data transmission, I guess.. Thanks Silverado

2. Rockn

Rockn

You would have to subscribe to an IP faxing service since you are no longe using a pots line any longer.

3. silverado4

Is that so much a month, or so much a fax, the IP service you talk about, can you name a few so I can check them out? thanks,,, Silverado...

4. Rockn

Rockn

The only problem is that they do not fax in a traditional sense. It will fax to an email address not a fax machine. Some services do actually fax to fax machines but I think they charge per fax. It would probably be more cost effective if you do a lot of faxing to just have a seperate line to send and recieve faxes on.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I FAX using my Vonage VoIP phones. One thing you have to do is not limit the bandwidth of the VoIP connection, let it have the maximum bandwidth.

6. silverado4

No, I just fax about once a month, or once every other month..

7. silverado4

johnwill, Do you use your card to do the faxing from your computer? If so, how do you do it?

8. silverado4

I have sun rocket, $199 a year, they say you can't do it, I say you can, Help me.

9. JohnWill

I use a standard FAX machine, but a FAX-Modem would work exactly the same way. I don't know anything about Sun Rocket, but it works with Vonage just fine.

The simple way is to try it, connect the FAX-Modem to the VoIP line and try sending a FAX.

10. silverado4

Johnwill,
    No, it didn't work with Sun rocket, It connects, but the modem times out. I hear the connection, but the transmission won't start. Do you know of anything I can do in the modem set up in windows, again I have a us robotics modem card. Thanks Silverado.
    If Vonage works, This should work....

11. JohnWill

I don't do anything special, but I'll admit, I haven't tried it with a FAXmodem, only with a real FAX machine. You could try limiting the FAX transmission to 9600 baud, since I suspect that's what my old machine is doing.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/377777

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice