1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Fax receives long distance calls but not local calls

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by rgifford, Aug 15, 2019 at 10:26 PM.

Advertisement
  1. rgifford

rgifford Thread Starter

Hi,
    I saw the reverse of this problem here somewhere. Distant callers can successfully send me a fax. Presumably they are using 1 as the first number, followed by my 10-digit local landline number. However, local callers' faxes (presumably without the 1 first) generate an error message and no fax. Help?
    Thanks,
    Robert

2. Drabdr

Drabdr Moderator

First Name:
    Brad
    Hello there! Welcome to the forum! :)

You have a working fax machine attached to a phone line. The phone line is... say... 555 222-1313. So someone from another area code can send a fax to that number (1-555-222-1313), but if someone from the 555 area code tries to send one, do you or they get an error? Does it show to go through on their end?

Are there settings on your fax machine where you could have inadvertently blocked certain area codes?

3. rgifford

rgifford Thread Starter

The (local) sending fax machine receives the printed error message. Reading the fine print on it, the problem seems to be that the sending machine is told that my receiving fax is busy (but it is not). Problem *could* be the voice message on the landline (which is connected to the fax), although the voice message was there before this problem started, and thus is not something that was changed.

4. Drabdr

Drabdr Moderator

First Name:
    Brad
    For testing purposes, any way you could disconnect the voice message/ regular phone part and have somebody send you a fax? In other words, get the phone line clean as possible.

Did this change out of the blue? Or was something changed with respect to phone service?

5. rgifford

rgifford Thread Starter

Out of the blue. However, I will try that (getting rid of the voice mail, as a test.) Of course, the next question is "What if that works?" because having a voice mail message is kinda nice. But...maybe try making the message shorter? Or longer?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!