Fax with Laptop ?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

AmericanOhio

I have a new Laptop, it has a 56 Fax modem in it, is the Laptop have Fax copatible, and how do I set it up, Ive heard that I can not use the DSL line so Id have to connect straight to the Telephone plug ?

using Vista, 17k line, with isdn

tks, Wade

Not exactly - you would have to plug it into the DSL line as if you were plugging in a phone, with a filter.

As for the FAX/modem computers come with, yes. It's called WinFAX. All computers going back to Windows 95 can fax, as long as the feature has been activated in Windows (its a program that can be turned on by adding it in Add/Remove Programs). But the one that comes with Windows is very rudimentry, and needs a program like WinFAX to make it more user friendly.

WinFAX PRO is from the fine folks at Symantec (Norton Anti-Virus). http://www.symantecstore.com/antivirus/winfax-pro-f.htm

A-N

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
In Vista they removed fax capability in the operating system, unless you buy the Business or Ultimate version, but he more common Home Premium and Basic versions don't include it. Winfax has been discontinued by Symantec in 2006 and the older versions are not compatible with Vista. But they are several other programs that do work with Vista.

FaxTalk: http://www.faxtalk.com/products/ftfcp/index.htm

Snappy Fax: http://www.snappysoftware.com/

And there's a few others.

Okay - I can't see that right now, as the computer I'm on blocks Symantec's purchase site - and I know they don't sell the box, but the software seems still available for download - I was afraid it wouldn't work on Vista though.

Give those Triple6 suggested a try.

A-N

DoubleHelix

Banned
I think people here are going to need some help translating all that. All I got was "ISDN" which doesn't work for faxing.

You connect a computer's dial-up modem directly to a telephone wall jack. Don't connect something to anything related to DSL, ISDN, or anything like that. If your DSL service requires that all your phones be connected through filters before connecting to wall jacks, you may need one of those for the line from the computer to wall.

Then it's just a matter of running your fax software and sending something.

If you need more help, you have to post error messages, options, program names, etc. in English so the majority of people can understand what they're dealing with.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online