1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

FDD Calibration

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vanwade, Sep 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vanwade

vanwade Thread Starter

Is it possible to re-calibrate the settings in a HP Pavilion 6535 OEM floppy disk drive/ can the existing settings be found? Sorry but HP support is not there after warranty expires, except for phone "help" @ $27.00 per minute. :confused:

2. Rockn

Rockn

What do ya mean calibration? Of the stepping motor, the disk speed? Go out and buy a new one for $20

3. vanwade

vanwade Thread Starter

It is not that easy. I would sincerely like to replace this with a$10 Teac or Samsung - but because of the curved front of the HP Pavilions, only their OEM drive face/plate, will work, and they want $140 to install it. $115 just for the FD Drive.....so. I believe it is the calibration of the drive speed that is the problem.
    Not trying to be difficult, but is there no repair/alignment/adjustment for these HP drives, other than buy theirs for $115.00??

4. rickstreeter

rickstreeter

:rolleyes: Being a technical support person myself I feel that this is just a plain rude reply.:rolleyes:

If you note this is an HP computer that has onew of the modern "bulbous" designs. According to HP and other sources indeed the faceplate is specific to HP. This is how they "justify" charging $115 for the drive.

What vanwade wants to know is:

1. "Does anyone know if a generic or brand name drive fit the HP faceplate?"

2. "If it does not... is there any way to fix the present drive."

I am sure he is willing to "Go out and buy a new one for $20" if he is assurred that it will fit his machine. However, no one to date is able to tell him... Including me.

Rick

5. n2gun

n2gun

Welcome to TSG

I think with the price of the HP drive that I would go get a $20 drive and hook it up to see if it works. If it does and the screws all line up same as the old one. I would attempt to put their faceplate on the generic drive. Just a thought. I do know there is a way to calibrate the speed of the drive but can't remember how it is done. If your computer is not writing to it, that would not help anyway. Just that only that drive would be able to read the disk made with it.

6. Lurker1

Lurker1

Hi vanwade

It's probably not possible to calibrate the drive anymore. The last drive I could do this two was an 8"floppy drive and it required a special Floppy disk with a alignment track on it and an oscilliscope. To adjust the speed we needed a strobe disk and the drive had an adjustment built in. Its just not done anymore. You could take the face plate to a computer shop to see if they have a floppy disk that would fit the front.

Of course theres always the cheap way that I used when I ran out of drive space in my system. That is cut a hole in the top of the system case, tape off the sharp edges of the hole with electrical tape. Run the floppy cable through the hole and tape the new/cheap floppy drive to the top of your box.

Thats what I would do instead of spending $115 or you could modify the case to fit a different drive.

BOL

7. cavp

cavp

Nowadays, calibraing a fdd is a waste of time... There were times that this "could" be done by using a software called Interrogator, but for really calibrating a fdd, u nee the electronic diagram of that flppy, and also the test points on the PCB, a good oscilloscope and a very good hand....:D

8. vanwade

vanwade Thread Starter

Jerry: thanks for your comments. Yes I agree that I will wind up with a 3d party FDD and experiment with the drive bay and eject button plus whatever else needs to be juryrigged.

I mentioned Calibration, as the previous reply from rickstreeter had suggested earlier to me, thefact that the drive works perfectly and then cannot access any disk, whether it made the disk or a commercial co. did (like Microsoft Word, etc.) When it works, like now, it is flawless. Read, format, copy, etc.

Just hoping to find a real live person who has had the exact same replacement problem with the HP Pavilion series. When I exhaust that hopeful area, I will proceed as you suggested (As did rickstreeter too who is a very professional technician).

BTW, N2GUN could be a Amateur Radio call from VA - or just a coincidence? Here is a KM6 call.
    Thanks again.

9. Lurker1

Lurker1

Oh one other thing.
    Check the floppy drive and see if it has a part number and manufacturer that is not HP. Many companies use a different manufacturer for their drives. You may be able to find the same drive somewhere else for much less.

10. vanwade

vanwade Thread Starter

Yes. Both HP specs and Belarc's analysis show the OEM as a NEC. NEC still makes an FDD but only HP makes the faceplace and eject button hdwe. In fact, HP tells me they use all the 3d party FDDs, whoever is the cheapest bidder at production time. I am just surprized (and I guess glad too) that more HP Pavilion owners havent dug into this. They pay $140 to HP, or better, buy a new Dell.

11. Lurker1

Lurker1

Well if the face plate on the old drive isn't damaged and you can get the same drive with a different face plate. If you are good with tools you can just change the faceplate. I have done this with a few floppy drives.

Dells have some pretty proprietory hardware in them also.

12. vanwade

vanwade Thread Starter

Yes, rickstreeter tells me Dell is as bad as Compaq with designing their own stuff.

If I could find a really knowledgable Techie who had the time and inclination, I would Roll My Own. Maybe down the road. I hate Learning Curves, esp. in electronics - it gets $$expensive$$.

13. rickstreeter

rickstreeter

I would LOVE to have that drive in front of me along with the HP faceplate. I bet I could make it work (even if it took a hammer).

14. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

:D Have you considered an external USB floppy drive? I noticed on Ebay today that you can get a new HP external,USB floppy for $38.00.:p

Just a thought.

Kilowatt

15. vanwade

vanwade Thread Starter

Oh yes, External FDD was my first thought - but they are not, I am told, functional in that they wont allow a boot up disk to work.

Thanks very much for your comments, and any more if you care to.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/96279

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice