1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved FDisk Question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mirari, Oct 21, 2003.

Unmark Solved
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mirari

Mirari Guest Thread Starter

I have two hardrives, one an 80 gb C and the other is 20. The 20 GB is partitioned into two drives F & G. I want to format the 20 gb drive and remove the partition, how do I do this?

Thanks

2. PROJECT

PROJECT

I would first disconnect your 80Gig from the cable and only have the 20Gig connected on the primary IDE channel to be on the safe side. Then:

-insert win98cd and boot up computer
    -choose the 2nd option, "boot computer with cd-rom support"
    -then type, "d:" and press enter (if D: is your cd-rom)
    -then type , "cd win98" enter
    -then type fdisk
    -choose option 4 to display all information
    -you will see your 2 partitions, hit ESC to return to previous menu
    -choose option 3 i think(it says delete partition information)
    -delete all extended and primary partitions
    -then choose option 1 to create new partition and choose Y when it asks if u want to use all available space

Partition Magic is a much easier way to do it but you have to buy the software

3. raybro

raybro

Hi Mirari... From what you descibed, your 20G drive is connected as slave and the 80G is the boot drive with windows on it. That being the case, you can do the fdisk work on the 20G drive from within Windows.

Just boot the system and go to START|RUN and type in fdisk. Then press enter. when the screen asking about large disk support comes up, hit enter again. Now type in "5" and hit enter. The screen should now display partition information for both drives. Select the number for the drive you wish to change (probably #2) and type that number and hit enter. Now you can enter "3" and hit enter and proceed to delete the partition(s). The primary caution here is to be sure you have selected the correct drive to delete partitions. You are pretty safe because Windows will not let you change anything on the boot drive partition from within Windows.

Having said all that... I agree totally with PROJECT that a 3rd party soft such as Partition Magic or Partition Commander (which I use) is the easiest (and safest) way to do any work with partitions.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173518

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice