fdisk with WinME

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jtn3833

i was going to attempt and delete a partition that doesn't work and takes up no space, but when i started up dos (through ME) it gave me the following warning...

Your computer has a disk larger than 512 MB. This version of Windows includes improved support for large disks, resulting in more efficient use of disk space on large drives, and allowing disks over 2 GB to be formatted as a single drive.
IMPORTANT: If you enable large disk support and create any new drives on this disk, you will not be able to access the new drive(s) using other operating systems, including some versions of Windows 95 and Windows NT, as well as earlier versions of Windows and MS-DOS. In addition, disk utilities that were not designed explicitly for the FAT32 file system will not be able
to work with this disk. If you need to access this disk with other operating systems or older disk utilities, do not enable large drive support.
Do you wish to enable large disk support (Y/N)...........? [Y]

what the hell is this thing talking about? i just wanted to get in there and rework a second HD i recently added that has a partition on it that doesn't work. this thing makes it sound like if i enable the large disk support that drive won't be compatable with another system if i need to move the drive again.
any thoughts?

You can select YES without worry. It is just a warning that some other operating systems use different file systems and you are about to committe the disk to the FAT32 file system. Windows 95A was a FAT16 system and Windows NT is a NTFS file system which are both incompatable with Fat32.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online