1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Fdisk

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by sam95, Oct 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sam95

sam95 Thread Starter

I have started loading up windows 98 with my boot disk, but it wants me to into partion the FAt or FAt32 on the C drive using FDISK.
    anyone know how?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Run fdisk from the floppy and create a partition. Then, restart and boot from the floppy again. Then:

format C:

Always agree to large disk support whern it asks.

3. sam95

sam95 Thread Starter

Okay how do I run it from the floppy disk. It wants me to type sometihng in

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Hopefully, you have a fully-bootable startup disk that contains the FDISK.EXE and FORMAT.COM and OAKCDROM.SYS files.

Insert the startup disk in its drive and then double-click the A: drive in MY COMPUTER so it can open a window with the files and you can view them.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Assuming that you have a proper startup disk, when you boot from it, a black screen will appear. You'll see some text and then you'll see a flashing cursor in front of:

A:\>

Type in FDISK and then press Enter.

Make sure to select to enable large disk support, and make sure to select to use the maximum available size of the hard drive.

After you finish the fdisk process, press Ctrl-Alt-Delete so your computer can reboot.

When the above prompt appears again, type in FORMAT C: and then press Enter.

After you finish the format process, press Ctrl-Alt-Delete again so your computer can reboot.

Insert the Windows 98 CD in its drive while it's rebooting.

When the above prompt appears again, type in D:(or whatever letter is assigned to your CDROM drive) and then press Enter.

(Note: If for some reason the assigned drive letter isn't accepted, type in the next highest letter. Depending on what type of startup disk you use, the next highest letter has to be entered. The startup disk that I use automatically uses the letter X, so that's never a problem for me.)

When the D:\> prompt appears, type in WIN98 and then press Enter.

When the D:\WIN98> prompt appears, type in SETUP and then press Enter.

If all goes well, the install process of Windows 98 will begin.

Make sure to select C:\WINDOWS as the location to install it, and make sure to have the 25-digit product code of the Windows 98 CD to type in when prompted to.

When prompted to create a startup disk, click Cancel and then click OK. Don't remove the startup disk until your computer is ready to reboot for the first time. If you do, you'll get an error message.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Be aware that once you're finished installing Windows 98, you're likely going to need to install the drivers for the display adapter, sound device, and network adapter(or dial-up modem).

Hopefully, you already know what hardware is in that computer and have already obtained and burned the drivers to a CD-R.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

5. sam95

sam95 Thread Starter

okay fine but when I type Fdisk into the A:/ Iget this message
    'No fixed disks present'
    Thanks for the help

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I've never had that happen.

Let's see if Elvandil or someone else can answer that.

----------------------------------------------------------------

7. Hughv

Hughv

This indicates the HD is not being found.
    Can you see it on the splash screen, or in The BIOS?
    Check the IDE and power connections.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

What OS was on the machine originally? Is the hard drive good? Is it a newer SATA drive?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757656

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice