1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Feature Transfer Error

Discussion in 'Games' started by spazmom, Feb 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. spazmom

spazmom Thread Starter

Hi eveyrone, I'm new, and I'm definitly not a computer wiz! I did some looking around on your site and did find some posts about the same error I am having. But I'm not sure if this will help me in any way, if you think they will just let me know. My pc had crashed, we had a power outage and the mother board went, lost all my stuff, even though they told me I could most likely take the hard drive and have it restored but money is tight on my end. I have pc protection through verizon so I got a brand new computer, its an HP (I had a Dell that was custom built by an old friend) anyway, my son has a few old games that worked absolutly fine on the old pc, I have no clue how to work Windows 8, I had windows xp, so I'm totally lost with this computer I'm afraid to even get on it!!! LOL anyway he got this error on two different games but like I said they are old and I did read it oculd be the disc might have scratches??? but I'm also wondering is there a difference between the windows xp to the windows 8 and maybe that is why it's not letting it download? Should I try and do that copy thing onto the harddrive? I did write down directions that I saw off of one post but I'm not sure if that would work with Windows 8, so I may need help on that. So if anyone can help I'd appreciate it, he loves this game is is Midevil 2 Total War and I know I have enough memory for it I would think with this new PC my new one has 3rd Generaton Intel Core i5-3350p Processor, 10GB DDR3 system memory; 2TB hard drive, Nvidia GeForce GT 620 graphics card, super multi DVD Burner and some bluetooth, Beats Audio, Syberlink Power Direcotr and Phot Director and Windows 8.

The game calles for minimum requirements: Microsoft Windows XP, Ceteron 1.5 Ghz, Premium 4 (1500MH2) or equivaelant AMD rpocessor; 512 MB Ram; 8x speed DVD-Rom Drive (1200 kb/see sustained transfer rate) and latest drivers; 11.0 Gis of uncompressed free hard disk space; 100% direct X 9.0c compatible 16-bit sound card and latest drivers.

So I'm believing that the newer HP I have with Windows 8 would meet all the requirements for the game, am I reading that right?

Oh I am not tech smart and I don't know what to do or how to fix this, it's a brand new machine I just got it yesterday and already having problems.

I also copied the CRC Error from the library and will try that if you think its worth it, it states "this problem can be verified by attempting to copy the contents of the disc to the hard drive" are these directins the same for Windows 8, as I can try doing it and seeing what happens.

Thanks for letting me go on and on, it's just I'm not very computer smart and if it's not reading this game, then any game we might have won't be read either. I just don't get why it worked fine on the computer I did have, and now won't work on this new one!!!

Thanks so much!!

2. ETech7

ETech7

Windows XP and 8 are different and that actually can cause some issues with older programs. Sometimes it can be solved using Compatibility mode, check out this post.

3. spazmom

spazmom Thread Starter

Wow thank you so much. I'm printing it and trying it out when I get home. Windows 8 I'm not familiar with at all. this will be my first time I haven't even been on my home pc yet so I have no clue how it even works my son showed me after he hooked everything up (except the printer can you believe I can't find where you plug the printer in????) that's a whole nother story! LOL So I will try this and let you know! Thank you so so much!! I really hope it works because this is like his favorite game, there is another one I dont remember the name but it gets the same error so hopefully this works!

I appreciate your response I really do, thanks!

4. ETech7

ETech7

You are very welcome.

You should plug in the printer the same way you did on your old PC - into USB port on the back.

5. spazmom

spazmom Thread Starter

No I didn't plug the printer into a USB port, it has a big type looking thing with screws on each side that you tigten when you plug it in, maybe I need an adapter? It's hard to explain LOL

I did try the compatibility tests that was giving to me to no avail. It won't work with the game and my scanner it is saying it its not compatible to Windows 8 and there are no drivers I can download so I guess I'm out of a scanner now too!

You been a great help thanks so much!!!

6. ETech7

ETech7

Check this out, but make sure you can get drivers for that printer first.

7. spazmom

spazmom Thread Starter

Yes that's exactly what the big end of the printer cable looks like that would plug into the back of the printer, so I would need to purchase and adapter with a UsB port on the other end! Now I'm getting it, I'm not very computer literate so please excuse all my crazy questions! Thanks so much can I get this at like any radio shack or maybe staples? see I don't even know where to buy the thing!!! LOL

8. Compiler

Compiler

As posted: you'll spend $10~25 for an adapter for a printer that will most likely never work... on Win7 or Win8.

Now, if your *new* computer is less than 2 weeks old... take it back.

You can order or buy a custom built PC (or a slightly older model) from many places that will have Windows 7 on it.

The PC industry is getting returns on Win8 PCs and tablets... Some people will just live with it (Microsoft is hoping) - but I wouldn't stand for it. If you're going to have a very incompatible frustrating system... you might as well got Linux.

Now, a new Win7 PC doesn't mean all of your old PC games will work... most will. There is an XP "mode" in Win7 that you can apply to the shortcuts... which may or maynot work.

9. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    RadioShack should. Fry's Eletronics will also do it. That's where I got mine.

If Windows 8 is the professional version, you can downgrade it to Windows 7 or as complier stated, if it's new enough to replace it at the store, do so.

10. ETech7

ETech7

For the price of Windows 7 you can get a new printer compatible with Windows 8.

11. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    No price can be beat when you still have a 15+ year old printer still working compared to the printers of today ;) Besides Windows 8 is a pain in the rear

12. ETech7

ETech7

Don't know why so many W8 haters. So you don't have Start button, so what? It's faster, safer, has more features and is still cheaper for many. 15+ years old printer may take 15+ minutes to print a page. Seriously, downgrade OS because no drivers for an old printer? Sound like a cruel joke. If XP is missed so much, just run in as a VM for free, and don't bother with downgrading, which can definitely be a pain for someone inexperienced.

13. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    It's all about preference. For me, so far Windows 8 is becoming like Windows Vista... and I'm talking about from a business (cable internet tech support) standpoint. Windows 8 should stay on tablets/touch screen PC, not on a normal PC/laptop IMO.

I also listen (in this case, read) what the OP is saying:

I have no clue how to work Windows 8, I had windows xp, so I'm totally lost with this computer I'm afraid to even get on it!!!

So if downgrading to Windows 7 will help this person, then I will offer that as a solution. ;)

14. ETech7

ETech7

True all the way. Some people prefer to stick with "Good-old" whatever its is, others - gladly try to make use of new things.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089660

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice