1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Federal Jury Clears Police In DuBose Fatal Shooting

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by SexyTech, Feb 19, 2003.

Advertisement
  1. SexyTech

SexyTech Thread Starter

This is the case...where 2 San Diego Police officers (In Uniform-not undercover) had to deal with Dubose while he was on drugs. Basically, he went off on the cops and got thier nun-chukai and such away from them and was thrashing them really bad when the officers shot and killed him.

I know...two cops on one suspect...but this was a Linebacker in the NFL! And a really big one at that!

Sometimes the police need to use the deadly force and it doesn't always seem that it's needed...but I think in this case, I have to agree with the Federal Grand Jury! It was justified!

2. SexyTech

SexyTech Thread Starter

A note relating to this whole incident when it happened.....

DuBose's Mother was trying to call the whole incident racially motivated!

I guess she couldn't see how her son, being doped up and beating on two cops would make them feel that thier lives were threatened...especially after he took away non-lethal weapons from them so they were left with only one option.

The sad thing is this...

All he had to do was let the cops handcuff him and get him out of the area so they copuld talk to him and figure out why he was sleeping in some bimbo's bed...

3. Jonesiegirl

Jonesiegirl Guest

Given that snippet of info... and not the whole story, should be an indicator that I need to keep my yap shut, however... I am woman.... hear me roar. :eek:

Justifiable homicide against a nun-chuck yielding line backer (on drugs nonetheless)... Gimme a break. :rolleyes:

Since the cop was obviously able to grab his gun, why didn't he just blow the dudes knee out or something? Noooo, lets kill him instead?? Where's the logic in that? "Here buddy, dodge this bullet..." BAM! End of story... end of life... all over an arse beating? Whateverrrrrrrrrr!

Good thing I wasn't on that jury.

4. n2gun

n2gun

Nun_chuks are a very lethal weapon. Ask anybody who has studies marital atrs for a long time. A hit to the head can be very lethal.

5. Jonesiegirl

Jonesiegirl Guest

Don't need to study 'em ... I've seen 'em in action... :p

Still doesn't justify a fatal gunshot... like I said... they could have taken him down by simply blowin' his knee out... :rolleyes:

6. SexyTech

SexyTech Thread Starter

Oh Jonesie.....

First of all...it was two cops...and this doped-up linebacker was bigger than both of them put together! Also, he was flailing them around like rag-dolls furing the fight.

Also...Nun-chucks ARE considered a "Lethal Weapon" by most states. Police are trained in thier use for tactical purposes so they can carry them. anyone else that has them, outside of a martial Arts Studio, is commiting a felony-whether they know how to use them or not!

But that is irrellavent in this case...sort of.

This guy was in posession of them...Yeah, he took them off the cops, and was in the middle of beating the daylights out of the cops!

I have been in Law Enforcement and have seen some really hairy situations where, due to traffic and such, backup was anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes away and when you're in those situations...there comes a point where it's ABOUT SURVIVAL and nothing more!

The DuBose incident took place in Mission Beach which has serious traffic problems...which delayed backup units.

REMEMBER...DuBose was also some place he shouldn't have been and was the agressor against the cops!

(Wondering when Mulder is gonna chime in on this thread! :eek: )

7. SexyTech

SexyTech Thread Starter

So True!

When I was in Law Enforcement, the Asian gangs here in San Diego carried them...fortunately the little 13 year old punks would drop them and comply when looking down the barrel of a .357 Magnum.

8. Jonesiegirl

Jonesiegirl Guest

Still... lethal or not, he obviously didn't know how to use them in that sense, or the cop(s) wouldn't have been able to kill him, cuz he'd have already done them in.

Extreme measure is what I see... and ya can't change my mind... :p

edit: spell correction :D (lol so I'm a perfectionist!)

9. Jonesiegirl

Jonesiegirl Guest

Aha! Biased opinion...

10. SexyTech

SexyTech Thread Starter

biased...Maybe...

But I tend to look at things in a "Common Sence" view!

The point is this.....

If he had not been someplace he shouldn't have been, Had not been Doped-up, and Had not taken agressive move on the cops...

DuBose would still be alive today!

11. Jonesiegirl

Jonesiegirl Guest

It was excessive force ... Tell me this... WHY do the cops feel the need to make their shots fatal, especially when the offender isn't pointing a gun at them?! :confused:

ST, yer stuck in a paradigm... pull yerself out of it... :rolleyes:

12. jimi

jimi

JG if an officer pulls his or her sidearm on you and you don't comply they are trained for center mass shots, not some "i'll just wing him tex" type garbage. having said that i also wonder why ST hasn't brought this up:confused:

13. Jonesiegirl

Jonesiegirl Guest

OK jimi... now lets take this a step further (since you brought it up)... :)

WHY is law enforcement trained (aka brainwashed ) that way? "Uh, now Boys, iffin yer gonna pull that gun out, shoot to kill, ya hear..." :rolleyes:

Now, I DO understand that there are times, when a deadly shot IS necessary... however, in this particular situation, I don't.

Feels a major headache comin' on...

14. ComputerFix

ComputerFix

Defense of self or others is a legitimate use of force, cop or not.

Wearing a uniform does not make a cop stronger, they are just as vulnerable as the rest of us.

Story time! Story time!

I know a person who once found himself looking down the barrel of an officer's gun. He had committed no wrong, nothing threatening or even committed an illegal act (the person he was with, however, did commit an illegal act, and was "puffing his chest" I guess you could say). He faced being arrested because he was with the other man, and felt that there was no justification for such action. However, rather than spouting off at the cop, he complied with every instruction given, and nothing became of the incident for him (the other guy is another story).

The point? Our system provides avenues and "rights" for those who beleive they did not deserve the treatment they got from a law enforcement officer, the smart man knows it is not when the cop has a gun drawn. As the saying goes, there is a time and a place.......

15. SexyTech

SexyTech Thread Starter

Thanks for reminding me Jimi!

just busy here at work and didn't think about that point!

I guess was waiting for Mulder to chime in on this subject...

But Yes...

Shoot Center Mass - TO STOP THE THREAT!

This way, the bullets don't wander into innocent homes or people!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119687

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice