1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Fedora15 absent after Reinstallation of Win7

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by Ashin5, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ashin5

Ashin5 Thread Starter

Hi there. I just installed Win7 (I need it for work -.-") and, of couse, it installed its boot loader and I can't boot F15 any longer. The question is, how do I restore F15 from live installation media without destroying Win7?

Previously I had win7(32 bit) & fedora 15 dual bootable...on a same 250 gb Harddisk,with 240 gb for win 7(100 gb C: drive & 140 gb D: drive) & 10gb for fedora 15,recently i installed 4gb ram & as u knw 32 bit can't detect it so i switched to win7(64 bit) version & performed a fresh installation of win 7... whn i entered my boot cd of win 7 it only detected the 240 gb segment on which my previous win 7 was installed.. I had to perform my partition on that 240 gb... the 10 gb segment was not shown or detected..... obviosly the previous dual boot menu (win 7 & fedora 15)is not being displayed anymore... whn my pc boots automatically win 7 is loaded... this is the problem....

plz give me a solution(what to do & how to do) so that i can be able to get back the 10gb segment & can use fedora15 again..

thanks in advance

2. saikee

saikee

Boot up F15 installation CD/DVD.

I believe the restoring the boot loader used to be one of the boot-up options.

Your F15 hasn't gone and Grub is still there. Win7 installer doesn't want you to use another operating system so it grabed the MBR without asking your permission.

You can select any operating system to take control of the MBR and the instruction/function is always inside the installation CD/DVD, be it a MS Windows or a Linux. For a Linux you can do it with any Live CD. More details are in my signature.

3. Ashin5

Ashin5 Thread Starter

well whn i entered my fedora 15 live cd it gave me the following options..

1. Boot
    2. Boot(Basic Video)
    3.Verify & Boot
    4.Memory Test
    5.Boot from local Drive

press Tab to edit options..

plz tell me how shall i proceed from here?

4. saikee

saikee

I think 5 may be it for booting but you need to read Task B6 to repair Grub1.

I checked Distrowatch.com and F15 still uses Grub1. So please read Task B6 of Just Booting tips to restore Grub1.

Remember log in as root first and you disk may be called /dev/sda now.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1067191

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice