1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Feedback needed and appreciated .......

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by 5ndr5, Nov 17, 2011.

?

Number of staff:

1. 1-3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 4-6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 7-10

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  4. 11-15

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. >15

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Advertisement
  1. 5ndr5

5ndr5 Thread Starter

I would appreciate your feedback guys:

I manage an ICT department in Company X, I support the following:

1600 users
    300 pcs/laptops
    100 thin clients
    10 servers

Can you tell me how many staff you would expect to be in my department (including myself).................

2. 5ndr5

5ndr5 Thread Starter

Still no replies, cmon guys, really need some data here ?!?

3. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    I think that you will find that the knowledge required to answer your poll is beyond the average users' abilities.

4. jimi

jimi

# of users, computers, thin clients is about the same, ours are spread over 517,967 square miles, err Wales is 8,355 square miles, and a quarter of those users are in trucks - tough to get your hands on a problem computer when the guy is 700 miles away and doing 65 MPH.:eek:

servers, well 86 is a bit more.

that and the fact that supporting that stuff is kinda secondary to myself and 3 others of the 8 in our dept. since the 4 of us write the code to run this show.

i'm - as Jim put it - not your average user - since my operating system is OS/400 v7.1:D(y)

5. 5ndr5

5ndr5 Thread Starter

Thanks for your input guys, pyritechips - I know what u mean, but I was kinda hoping that users like yourself (obviously knowledgeable) could answer atleast, was hoping to get a sample of atleast 100 !!

Thanks anyway

6. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    Where I work our IT department is 3,000 km away so I have no idea.

7. Drabdr

Drabdr Moderator

First Name:
    Brad
    What you're asking sounds more along the lines of queuing theory. This would be something an Industrial Engineer could take a crack at.

There are several factors missing from your equation here. Consider:

What are the maximum labor hours per week? No one kicks out 40 hours a week worth of work; and you have breaks time off, training, etc. So you need to wrap your arms around how many available hours there will be. Also, will your staff have to travel, work on other projects, etc.

You give this as your model inputs:

• 1600 users
    • 300 pcs/laptops
    • 100 thin clients
    • 10 servers
    I would think you would want this tiered. So a certain available amount of tier 1 assistance for users and workstations. Then a certain number of tier 2 assistance for clients and servers, etc. Of the tier 1 and tier 2, will you require individuals with hardware and software troubleshooting ability?

What is your history? How many calls do you receive per week that would equal the two tiers?

Now.... your average response time. This is highly variable, based on the current level of expertise that you have. If you have say... 50 experienced staff and the current response is 1 hour; if you have to hire a new staff, the response rate will not be 1 hour. It will be more until they come up on the learning curve.

Next, you need to evaluate your strategic initiative. Do you need a 10 minute response time? 2 hours? 2 days? What is your requirement? If you require 10 minute response, you will need a substantially larger staff than if a 2 day response is acceptable.

So, once you think through this and start writing down some numbers, it shouldn't be that hard to get a guess at what staff you require.:)

8. 5ndr5

5ndr5 Thread Starter

RE: Drabdr

Thanks for your reply, however, I feel that people are over complicating things, all i'm looking for is a guestimate about how many people you would THINK would be needed in an IT department of the above specs, just thought I would post here as this is an IT based forum (dont need "experts" or precise data, just peoples thoughts).

Thanks

9. Drabdr

Drabdr Moderator

First Name:
    Brad
    OK, gotcha. (y)

I have no idea; so hopefully others can venture a guess. :)

10. 5ndr5

5ndr5 Thread Starter

Last chance, anyone ?

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027263

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice